Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products and services; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Unfortunately, Mumbai isn't a city that's known for its cheap hotels, and there's limited choice for those on a tight budget. However, if you're willing to sacrifice a few comforts there are some clean but basic accommodations available. Rates rise every year though. And, something to keep in mind is the locality of the accommodations. While there are relatively low cost accommodations in some of Mumbai's suburbs, the reality is that you'll be isolated and spend hours traveling to see the city's tourist attractions.
Here are eight decent guest houses and cheap hotels in Mumbai, which are well situated in south Mumbai and will help you stretch your money further.
Hotel Traveller's Inn
Hotel Traveller's Inn is a small and clean cheapie that's great value for money and a favorite with travelers. It's located down a side street in the Fort district, close to Colaba Causeway. The staff is friendly and aim to please. There's a mixed dorm, as well as private rooms.
- Features: TV with satellite channels, instant hot water. There's free WIFI in the lobby.
- Address: 26, ADI Marzban Path, Behind Cafe Universal, Ballard Estate, Fort.
Sea Shore Hotel
Never mind the ramshackle exterior, travelers rave about the well designed, newly renovated rooms at the Sea Shore Hotel. It's got a fabulous location on the waterfront in Colaba near the Gateway of India, in a building occupied by a other budget guest houses. There are six rooms to choose from and the pricier ones have harbor views! The only drawback is that bathrooms are communal. However, they're cleaned numerous times a day. The hotel also doesn't have an elevator, so you'll need to walk up four flights of stairs.
- Features: Shared bathrooms, TVs with English channels in rooms.
- Address: Kamal Mansion, Arthur Bunder Road, Colaba.
Hotel Elphinstone Annexe
The rooms may be small and the exterior unappealing. However, the Hotel Elphinstone is a pleasant surprise as far as cheap accommodations in Mumbai go. It's modern, clean, and comfortable -- and with excellent service. The hotel is located close to CST railway station and Crawford Market, around 10 minutes from Colaba Causeway. There are 20 rooms.
- Features: Air-conditioning, cable TV, minibar and electric kettle.
- Address: 149, 1st Floor, Sai Niwas, P D'Mello Road, Carnac Bunder, Fort, Mumbai.
Bentley Hotel Churchgate
Not to be confused with Bentley's Hotel in Colaba (see below), this hotel has a prime location on famous Marine Drive. It has 20 guest rooms in an old apartment building. Feedback has improved since the rooms were renovated in 2012 and attached bathrooms were added. Do be aware that some of the rooms are quite small though! The area is peaceful, unless there's a cricket game on in nearby Wankhede Stadium. The hotel is close to gorgeous rooftop Dome bar at the InterContinental hotel, if you want to splurge on a memorable sunset drink. Churchgate railway station is also nearby.
- Features: Satellite TVs, complimentary newspapers, safes in rooms, laundry service.
- Address: Krishna Mahal, Marine Drive, Churchgate.
Bentley's Hotel Colaba
This renowned budget hotel has 37 rooms spread over a couple of buildings, with an unbeatable location near Colaba Causeway. Most rooms are breezy, spacious, and have an old Victorian ambiance. The rooms do vary greatly in size, from rooms with balconies to rooms with communal bathrooms.
- Features: TVs in rooms with local channels, hot water, laundry service.
- Address: 17 Oliver Road, Colaba.
If you don't mind staying a bit away from Colaba (around 15 minutes drive) near Mumbai Central railway station, Hotel KumKum is an excellent choice. The hotel has a large terrace and rooftop restaurant that serves tasty food prepared with fresh ingredients. You can even see it being prepared in front of you. Rooms are simple but tastefully decorated and clean. The staff and owner aim to please.
- Features: Air conditioning, TV, attached bathrooms with hot and cold water, travel services, room service, free wireless Internet.
- Address: 165 Lamington Road, Mumbai.
YWCA International Guest House
The rooms at the YWCA guesthouse have recently received a makeover, and are clean and simply furnished. All rates include buffet breakfast and dinner. Although this guest house is run by a Christian women's organization, men are also welcome. It's a safe no frills place to stay, with smiling and helpful staff. You'll need to book at least a month or two in advance.
- Features: Hot water, cable TV, complementary morning tea/coffee and newspapers, wireless Internet, travel services.
- Address: 18 Madame Cama Road, Fort.