If you want to save money traveling from Delhi to Mumbai, you can take the train and be there overnight in as little as 16 hours. Find out about the best Delhi to Mumbai trains here.
What You Should Know
- The main railway station in Delhi is New Delhi Railway Station (NDLS), near Paharganj.
- Trains to Mumbai also depart Delhi from H Nizamuddin Railway Station (NZM), which is around 20 minutes from New Delhi Railway Station.
- The main railway station in Mumbai is the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) near the Fort area of south Mumbai. Its code is CST. Most trains from Delhi terminate at Mumbai Central (BCT). Some also terminate at Bandra Terminus, in the western suburbs.
Best Delhi to Mumbai Trains
- The fastest train from Delhi to Mumbai is the premium 12952 New Delhi - Mumbai Central Rajdhani Express. It departs New Delhi Railway Station at 4.25 p.m. and arrives at Mumbai Central at 8.15 a.m. the next morning. The fare in 1AC (first class, air conditioned, sleeper) is 4,755 rupees. 2A (two tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 2,870 rupees. 3A (three tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 2,085. rupees. The train runs every day with five stops, and meals are included. It has excellent cleanliness and punctuality, and good ticket availability. On average, it reaches Mumbai only a few minutes late. See train information.
- The premium 12954 August Kranti Rajdhani Express from H Nizamuddin Railway Station to Mumbai Central is another fast option. It departs at 4.50 p.m. and arrives at 9.45 a.m. the next morning. The fares are the same as the above Rajdhani train. However this train has 12 stops, which means it takes more time to reach Mumbai. It's punctuality is excellent though. The train runs every day and meals are included. See train information.
- There are a few super fast Duronto trains from Delhi to Mumbai. These trains only have three or five stops. However, they don't run frequently. In addition, their timetables aren't the most convenient. The best one is the 22210 New Delhi - Mumbai Central AC Duronto Express. It departs New Delhi Railway Station at 11.25 p.m. on Tuesday and Saturday, and arrives at Mumbai Central at 6.15 pm. the next day. Meals are included, and the train has good punctuality and cleanliness. See train information.
- A cheaper, but still fast, option is the 12910 Hazrat Nizamuddin - Mumbai Bandra T Garib Rath Express. Garib Rath trains are "poor chariot" trains, which have no frills three tier air-conditioned sleepers. The trains are often quite new and in good condition. This train departs H Nizamuddin Railway Station at 3.35 p.m. and arrives at Bandra Terminus at 8.10 a.m. the next morning. The fare is 1,000 rupees in 3A. The train only runs on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. There's on-board catering but no pantry car. Punctuality is excellent. See train information.
Other Delhi to Mumbai Trains
There are numerous other slower, less convenient sleeper trains that run from Delhi to Mumbai. These trains can be found here or by searching the Indian Railways website.
For more information, see How to a Make Reservation on Indian Railway Trains.