Whether you'd like an Ayurvedic massage, aromatherapy, or facial and body treatment, there are some excellent luxury spas in Mumbai to cater for all your needs. Many also have private suites for couples, so you can enjoy relaxing with your loved one. The spas in this article are all located outside the city's five star hotels. If you are looking for a luxury hotel spa, the Oberoi in Nariman Point (south Mumbai), the JW Marriott on Juhu beach, the Four Seasons in Worli, and the St. Regis in Lower Parel (central Mumbai) are recommended.
01 of 09
Small but soothing, and with impressive attention to detail, The Palms Spa is a relatively new entrant to the market. Its Colaba location is very convenient for worn out tourists, who feel in need of some pampering and rejuvenation. The menu features several classics including herbal detox massages, classic Thai massage, Balinese massage, and deep tissue sports massages, as well as innovative treatments and therapies. Masseuses are from Thailand. Top quality brands imported from Thailand, France and the UK are used.
- Address: Ground Floor, Dhanraj Mahal, Apollo Bunder, Opposite The Yacht Club (near the Gateway of India), Colaba. Phone: (22) 6634-9898/9922.
- Opening Hours: 9 a.m. to 10.30 p.m. daily.
- Cost: Massage prices start from 1,200 rupees for a 30 minute reflexology foot massage. Expect to pay 3,200 to 3,700 rupees for a 60 minute massage. 90 minute massages are also available from 4,800 rupees upwards.
- What's Good: The Jet Lag package, which is a combination of body scrub, full body, and foot massage for 5,500 rupees. Personally, I prefer the Deep Tissue Sports Massage. The Balinese and Thai massages are popular.
02 of 09
Tahaa Spa is a tiny three room establishment that offers a range of treatments including manicures, pedicures, and massages. Don't let the small size of Tahaa Spa put you off, it's tastefully decorated inside, comes highly recommended, and has some of the best therapists in Mumbai. The emphasis at Tahaa is on technique, aimed at addressing problem areas. Make sure you book in advance.
- Address: 69-A Manisha Building, Nepean Sea Road, near near Malabar Hill. Phone: (22) 2368-1001.
- Opening Hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Cost: Expect to pay 500 to 1,000 rupees for Express treatments. Other treatments range from about 1,000 rupees to 3,000 rupees.
- What's Good: Therapeutic Deep Tissue massage. Personalized aromatherapy massage.
03 of 09
This small boutique spa is highly regarded for offering luxury for less. It's also noteworthy for being the only spa in Mumbai with a soothing sea view. As well as the usual manicures, body scrubs and massages, Rewa Escape also offers some unique signature treatments including dry body massages, and a special Romantic Couples Ritual.
- Address: Rewa House Bungalow, opposite Cadbury House and Audi South, Bank of India Lane, Bhulabhai Desai Road, near Peddar Road. Phone: (22) 2352-0580.
- Opening Hours: 10.30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Cost: Expect to pay 890 rupees for a 30 minute foot or head massage. Body scrubs cost 2,000 rupees for 60 minutes. A 75 minute Ayurvedic Healing or Indian Deep Tissue massage is 2,800 rupees, and 3,800 rupees for 105 minutes.
- What's Good: The House Favorite is a blend of Thai, Deep Tissue and Ayurvedic massage techniques (4,500 rupees for 105 minutes).
04 of 09
A destination to de-stress, Shen Reflexology offers some of the best hand and foot massages in Mumbai, with focus on specific pressure points to benefit the body. Add-on massages are available for head, neck, shoulders and back. Other therapies include hot stone reflexology, facial massage, Shiatsu body massage, and lymphatic drainage massage.
Continue to 5 of 9 below.
- Address: G3 , Heera House, Junction of 1st and 12th Road, between Citibank and Madhu Park, Khar West. Phone: (22) 2605-5578.
- Opening Hours: 11.30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Cost: From 630 rupees for a 30 minute hand and foot massage, going up to 1,980 for a 90 minute Shiatsu body massage.
- What's Good: The hand and foot reflexology combos will leave you feeling rejuvenated.
05 of 09
Four Fountains is a popular chain of affordable luxury day spas in the Mumbai suburbs, with a focus on de-stressing, detoxification, immunity and beauty. The spa offers a range of special programs to address health concerns such as fatigue, insomnia, pain, anxiety, and ageing. Therapies include massages, scrubs, body wraps, and facials.
- Address: Multiple locations including Bandra West, Powai, Andheri West, and Malad. Phone for an appointment at any location: 9987004004 (cell).
- Opening Hours: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Cost: Most therapies are priced from 600 rupees to 2,500 rupees. There are discounts on weekdays too, as well as membership plans.
- What's Good: The Lumbar Massage (a Swedish deep tissue massage focusing on the back), Ayurvedic Lymphocyte Stimulating Massage (to increase immunity), and Ayurvedic Sleep Regulating Therapy (involving warm oil being poured on the forehead).
06 of 09
Myrah, with its warm Mediterranean inspired decorations, means "fragrance" in Greek. The treatments on offer are extensive and innovative. Suites with private plunge pool for couples are available, along with a range of indulgent "journeys". The spa regularly hosts acclaimed healing practitioners as well.
- Address: 11 Palm Spring Society (near Shoppers' Stop), JVPG Scheme, Juhu. Phone: (22) 2625-3968.
- Opening Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays. 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekends.
- Cost: Massage prices start from 3,500 rupees for a 60 minute Swedish massage. Expect to pay 5,500 rupees for the 85 minute Hot Stone Asian Blend massage, and 4,000 rupees for a 60 minute Lymphatic Drainage Massage. 30 minute body scrubs and facials start from 2,000 rupees. Couples "journeys" range from about 11,000 to 23,000 rupees.
- What's Good: The Hot Stone Asian Blend massage, special pregnancy packages (including pre-natal massage), and sports massages.
07 of 09
High-tech Caressaa Day Spa is spread over two floors with a beauty salon on the bottom floor and the spa on the top, connected by a lift. There are seven treatment rooms offering new spa techniques combined with traditional therapies. Treatments are divided into body rituals, face rituals, hand and foot rituals, and elite treatments. The elite treatments feature Alpha and Derma capsules with LED lights, which customers lay down inside. They're used for hydrotherapy (water) and sauna (dry heat) therapies.
- Address: 19-28/29, Janki Kutir, near Prithvi Theatre, Juhu Church Road, Juhu. Phone: (22) 2618-3810 and 6526-2640.
- Opening Hours: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Cost: Most treatments cost 1,500 rupees upwards. However, there is a quick 200 rupee, 15 minute relaxing hand/foot stone treatment. The Alpha and Derma capsules cost 3,500 rupees for 30 minutes.
- What's Good: The Rope Massage (2,500 rupees for 60 minutes), which involves the therapist holding onto ropes attached to the ceiling while walking on you!
08 of 09
Rudra Spa is both a day spa and a beauty salon that promises "soulitude with senses". It features 22 luxurious spa suites, an open air courtyard, natural wood interiors, and ornate furniture. This spa gets points for the extensive range of treatments on offer, such as Ayurveda, Shiatsu, Reiki, Reflexology, Hot Stone Therapy, and massages including Thai, Balinese, Red Indian Lomi Lomi, Swedish, Himalayan, and Javanese. Detox massages and spiritual massages are also available, as well as body scrubs and wraps.
Continue to 9 of 9 below.
- Address: Kemps Boulevard, Kwality House, Kemps Corner. Phone: (22) 2387-2530.
- Opening Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Closed Mondays.
- Cost: From 1,500 rupees to 6,300 rupees for massages (most are around 3,000 rupees). Body scrubs are 2,000 rupees upwards.
- What's Good: The two signature treatments for stiff muscles -- Rudra Purusha (using a Himalayan herbs scrub and deep Himalayan massage) and Rudra Ananda (using grated coconut and honey for silky skin, and a combination of vigorous Tibetan Himalayan massage and more gentle Garhwal Himalayan massage).
09 of 09
Although Metta Reflexology Spa is lacking in luxury, it's still worthy of being included on this list due to its extraordinary massage therapists and feelgood experience provided. All the therapists at the spa (its name means "loving kindness") are visually impaired and many are completely blind. Each therapist has undergone a six month reflexology training program, so they are appropriately qualified. Their work gives them purpose. And, their loss of sight means that their other senses, such as touch, are heightened. Another plus point is that the rates are very reasonable. It's outstanding value for money!
- Address: 18 B, Pali Village, Bandra West. Phone: 9870599923 (cell).
- Opening Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Cost: 300 rupees for a 30 minute foot massage. 400 rupees for a 60 minute feet, back, shoulders, head and hand massage.