March is typically when everyone in Chicago starts hanging out again. Hanging out, of course, as in visiting the bars, restaurants and even cultural attractions en masse because it's way too early in the year to start shedding all those layers of clothing.
What motivates most people to socialize again is St. Patrick's Day, which falls on March 17, but is celebrated in Chicago for approximately two weeks.
The city's so obsessed, in fact, that the powers that be even turn the Chicago River green for the occasion.
We've got plenty more in the guide below, so read, absorb and enjoy your time in the city!
• Average High Temperature: 45° F (7° C)
• Average Low Temperature: 28° F (-2° C)
• Average Precipitation: 2.7"
• Average Snowfall: 7.0"
WHAT TO WEAR
• Weather in March can get downright cold. Packing layers of clothing is definitely in order.
• We also recommend checking out Chicagoland shopping malls for additional apparel, including comfortable boots if you plan to walk a lot.
• Unpredictable weather continues to make discount flights to Chicago available.
• In addition to snow, extreme cold temperatures are expected throughout the month.
• The occasion of St. Patrick’s Day on March 17 can result in inflated prices and crowding all over downtown.
GOOD TO KNOW
• It's National Noodle Month, and here's where to get the best bowls of ramen in the city.