Woodloch Resort is a four-season resort in the Poconos in Northeastern PA: 1 hour from Scranton PA, 3 hours from Phillie, and 2.5 hours from NYC.
Starting in the fifties with a lodge and two cottages on twelve acres on Lake Teedyuskung, the resort has grown to 1000 acres and varied lodgings that can accommodate 900 guests. Woodloch is still owned by the same family as years ago, and is the kind of place that gets fourth generation returning guests.
Woodloch Resort consists of Woodloch Pines and Woodloch Springs. The Pines is the site of the original resort, with pools, accommodations of different types, and fun play areas from bumper boats to ice skating. The "Woodloch Springs" area -- 2.5 miles from The Pines --is a golf course community (with pools and sports areas) where houses can be rented.
Features for Families
Families can basically have an all inclusive vacation at Woodloch if they choose the American Plan for meals, which offers three meals a day in the Dining Room, family-style, with children's choices available. Many activities and amenities are included: pools, lake watersports, lake, bumper cars/boats, snow tubing, ice skating, go carts, nightly entertainment, and family fun such as scavenger hunts and contests. (Specialty drinks, game rooms, batting cages, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, golf and spa treatments are not included.)
Meanwhile, a Non-Traditional Plan for meals suits families who want to use kitchen facilities in a rental home.
The same activities are included with this plan.
In summer Woodloch has many lake activities, a beachfront kiddie pool, a large outdoor pool and a waterslide. There's an indoor pool, too, and a Toddler Room.
Woodloch has a long list of included activities:
- arts and crafts
- kayaking, paddle-boats, waterskiing, for age 13 and up
- canoeing; sailboats
- bumper boats
- basketball, bocce ball, ping-pong, shuffleboard, horseshoes...
- bicycling; nature trail
- bingo, movies,family scavenger hunts, game show
- mini-golf, bumper cars, go-carts, kiddie cars
- fishing, trapshooting
- winter: ice skating ( with a rental fee) ; snow tube run
Also expect holiday activities, such as Haunted Hayrides for Halloween, Thanksgiving Weekend packages, and an Easter Egg Hunt and bunny tuck-ins at Easter.
Near to Woodloch:
- winter: skiing at Big Bear, minutes away; at Tanglewood Ski Area and Winter Park; or Elk Mountain
- horseback riding, river rafting, fly fishing
- Promised Land State Park, Bushkill Falls
Find Out More:
- See the Woodloch site
- Check The Edge online magazine for events going on at Woodloch, monthly activities, photos, and more
- check recent visitors' comments at TripAdvisor.com
- Check prices at Kayak.com
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.
* Always check resort sites for updates.