01 of 02
Wölffer Estate Vineyard: Hamptons Hub for Wine and Socializing
Wölffer Estate Vineyard: Wonderful Wine amidst a Super Social Scene
Wölffer Estate Vineyard is a must-visit in the Hamptons, New York's fashiojable getaway region.
• Wölffer is a welcoming, lovable social magnet for the Hamptons community and visitors
• It's an eco-minded winery that has earned Long Island wines serious respect
• To see why, just taste the rosé and tell me if it's not the best ever
Where Is Wölffer Estate Vineyard in the Hamptons?
The winery is set in the village of Sagaponack halfway through the Hamptons.
• The Hamptons are on the east end of Long Island
• By train or car, Wölffer is two hours and change from Manhattan
• Winery directions & hours
• Luxury Travel's quirky-chic Hamptons hotel pick: The Maidstone
• About Long Island's guide to doing the Hamptons right
What's It Like to Visit Wölffer Estate Vineyard?
There's a lot you can do at Wölffer Estate Vineyard. First, discover its wines.
• In warmer months, you can stop by The Wine Stand for a glass and some conversation
• Th...e indoor tasting room is open year-round; you can sit at the wine bar or at tables
• You can taste Wölffer wine a variety of ways: tasting flights or by the glass or bottle
• And you can enjoy the wines with platters of cheese or charcuterie
• Very often, a live band is playing
More Things Visitors Can Do at Wölffer Estate Vineyard
Wöl lffer is beloved in the Hamptons because it's more than a source of great Long Island wine. It's a beehive of social life in The Hamptons, with tons to do.
Sunset Fridays & Saturdays, in summer, have become a Hamptons tradition.
• Locals and in-the-know visitors come one, come all: with their partner, friends, kids, colleagues
• There's live music, with local musicians
• Guests laze on the grass, bask in live music, sip Wölffer wines and order savory bites
• Candlelight Fridays bring the party indoors in cooler months
• The Wine Stand has music too, in summer
• There is no cover charge for these events
And there's tons more on offer at Wölffer Estate Vineyard.
• Winery tours and barrel tastings, introductions of new vintages
• Harvest Party over Columbus Day weekend in October
• "Yoga in the Vines" classes morning and evening in summer
• Event hosting for your wedding or private party
• On-site shopping for Wölffer wines
• Jewelry and accessory shopping at Joey Wölffer's "Boho Luxe Truck" Styleliner boutique On-site at the Wine Stand on summer Fridays and Saturdays
• Equestrian doings at Wölffer Stables (below)
• Wölffer event calendar
Equestrian Life at Wölffer Estate Vineyard
Horses are another expression of the good life at Wölllffer. On the property is Wölffer Estate Stables, a full-service, high-end, 100-acre equestrian center. You can:
• Take lessons in the indoor ring and on the jumps circuit
• Take a trail ride on a gentle Wölffer horse
• Board your horse here in one of 80 stalls
• All info at Wölffer Estate Stables
Next: the wonderful wines of Wölffer Estate VineyardContinue to 2 of 2 below.
02 of 02
The People Behind Wölffer and Its Wines
The Story of Wölffer Wines
Wölffer Estate Vineyards is the dream of founder Christian Wölffer . This Hamburg-born entrepreneur, oenophile, and horse lover bought the 175-acre property in 1978.
The winery was up and running ten years later. Most observers credit Christian Wölffer and winemaker Roman Roth with putting Long Island wines on the map -- and then showing the world how good they can be.
Christian Wölffer passed away in 2009. His children, Marc Wöllffer and Joey Wölffer, now run the estate with devotion and inspiration. (Joey lives nearby and rides daily at Wölffer Stables.)
In the hands of this committed second generation, Wölffer Estate Vineyards has become one of the Hamptons' most inviting and enjoyable social scenes. And it has remained true to Christian Wölffer's vision of world-class wines in a wine region whose importance he helped create.
Let Wölffer Wines Tell their Own Story
As well-made as they are, Wöllffer wines are quite affordable, and excellent value for their... quality.
• The winery's portfolio runs the gamut: red wines, white wines, sparkling wines. dessert wines, cider, and even a non-alcoholic drink
• Some of the reds spotlight food-friendly Cabernet Franc, Long Island's signature, cool-climate grape
• My advice: take advantage of Wölffer 's tasting flights, and trust your own taste
You can buy Wölffer wines a few ways:
• At the winery
• Online directly through Wölffer
• Through Wolffer Wine Club (which also invites members to tastings and parties)
• Up and down the East Coast, Wölffer wines are available to order in restaurants and to buy in wine stores
Wölffer's Best-Selling Wine
Wölffer's most in-demand wine is its Summer in a Bottle Rosé.
• This seasonal offering is so popular that it has sold out in the past; stock up early on this one!
• The winery's Rosé Table Wine is so in-demand that it sells out by the end of September
The Winemaker Behind It All
Wölffer's oenological star is partner Roman Roth, the estate's winemaker since 1992.
He has blended grapes and created wines at wineries in his native Germany, in Napa, and in Australia
• His own wines, The Grapes of Roth, are sold through Wolffer
Many oenophiles compare Roth's winemaking style to that of Bordeaux.
• In fact, the latitudes and growing conditions are similar: rich, loamy, sandy soil with ocean breezes (both are minutes from the Atlantic)
Find Out More About Wölffer Estate Vineyards
You can sense the excitement of Wölffer as soon as you open a bottle. But the best way to feel the phenomenon is to a visit Wölffer Estate Vineyards in the Hamptons.