Wisp is Maryland's only ski resort and is located near Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County. The resort features a world renowned energy-efficient snowmaking system, and with more than 100 inches of annual snowfall, offers a wide range of winter activities including skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and sleigh rides. A recent expansion to Wisp Ski Resort adds 10 trails and two quad chairlifts.
Western Maryland has a number of forests and state parks that make this area a popular getaway destination for year-round outdoor recreation.
Wisp Ski Resort Description
Address: 296 Marsh Hill Rd., McHenry, Maryland.
Snow Report: (301) 387-4911
Distance from Washington, DC: 180 miles - 3 hours, See a map
Vertical Drop: 700 feet
Hotels Near Wisp Ski Resort
- Wisp Mountain Resort Hotel and Conference Center - The slopeside hotel offers ski-in/ski-out convenience, a fitness center, heated indoor pool and Jacuzzi. The property was recently updated and features 67 guest rooms and 102 two-room suites.
- Quality Inn at Deep Creek Lake - With its location just a half mile from the resort, this hotel offers comfortable and affordable accommodations.
- Camel Cove Inn - The mountain lodge hotel is a former monastery nestled in the woods providing a unique setting for a ski getaway.
State Parks Offering Additional Recreational Opportunities
- Herrington Manor State Park – Located in Garrett State Forest, the park has 10 miles of trails for cross-country skiing and a 5.5-mile trail that connects with Swallow Falls State Park. Cabins are available all year-round.
- Deep Creek Lake State Park – This 1,800-acre park, on the east side of the lake, has six miles of snowmobile trails and opportunities for cross-country skiing. The Deep Creek Lake Discovery Center, a venue of exhibits showcasing the environment, is open weekends during the winter.