01 of 17
White House Christmas Decorations
Like much of Washington D.C., The White House is beautifully decorated for the holiday season each year. The First Lady hosts military families to the White House to first view the holiday decorations.
In 2016, for example, the theme was The Gift of the Holidays. It reflected on not only the joy of giving and receiving, but also the true gifts of life, such as service, friends and family, education, and good health.
Throughout the White House, there are are dozens of trees and tens of thousands of ornaments. Only about 10 percent of the design uses new products and materials. The remaining 90 percent uses repurposed ornaments and embellishments that are already a part of the White House holiday inventory.
The following photos show some decorations found in the White House over the years. Enjoy!Continue to 2 of 17 below.
02 of 17
Lego Christmas Houses at the White House
The 2016 White House Christmas decor included 56 LEGO gingerbread houses—one for each state and territory—made from more than 200,000 LEGOS, nestling in the branches of the trees throughout the State Dining Room. A team of seven LEGO Master Builders in the Enfield, Conn. offices of LEGO Systems spent a total of 500 hours designing and building the custom decorations.Continue to 3 of 17 below.
03 of 17
East Room: Nutcracker and Christmas Tree
Holiday decorations are seen in the East Room of the White House in Washington, DC. 'The Gift of the Holidays' was the theme of the 2016 White House holiday decorations.Continue to 4 of 17 below.
04 of 17
2016 White House Gingerbread House
A spectacular gingerbread house sits in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC. The replica is made from 300-pounds of gingerbread, white chocolate and marzipan. This is the 2016 gingerbread house though a new design is created each year.Continue to 5 of 17 below.
05 of 17
Christmas Trees in the State Dining Room
Holiday decorations illuminate the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC. The official White House Christmas tree pictured here came from Crystal Springs Tree Farm in Leighton, Pennsylvania, and is trimmed with ornaments decorated by military children living on U.S. military bases all over the world. Many of the ornaments hanging on the tree are cards with thank you messages written by children to the troops.Continue to 6 of 17 below.
06 of 17
The ornaments on the White House Christmas Tree here were decorated by military children living on U.S. military bases all over the world.Continue to 7 of 17 below.
07 of 17
Bo - Christmas Decoration
How adorable! This is a small reproduction of the Obama's dog, Bo, made from buttons, which stood on a table in The Red Room when Barack Obama was in office.Continue to 8 of 17 below.
08 of 17
China Room Christmas Decorations
The China Room at the White House was beautifully decorated for the holiday season in 2011.Continue to 9 of 17 below.
09 of 17
Cross Hall - White House Christmas Trees
Large Christmas trees line the Cross Hall at the White House for the holiday season. This particular photo was from 2011.Continue to 10 of 17 below.
10 of 17
Kennedy Portrait at the White House
Decorations were seen surrounding a portrait of John F. Kennedy on the State Floor at the White House in 2009.Continue to 11 of 17 below.
11 of 17
White House Red Room - Christmas
The Red Room in the White House is always beautifully decorated for the holidays. Here's what it looked like in 2009.Continue to 12 of 17 below.
12 of 17
Christmas Window DecorA wreath is hung on a window at the State Floor of the White House in Washington, DC.Continue to 13 of 17 below.
13 of 17
East Entrance Hall
The East Entrance Hall was festively decorated for the holiday season in 2007.Continue to 14 of 17 below.
14 of 17
White House State Dining Room - Christmas Decorations
Here's how the State Dining Room was decorated for the holiday season in 2007.Continue to 15 of 17 below.
15 of 17
The Cross Hall Dressed For Christmas
The Cross Hall of the White House was beautifully decorated in Christmas colors in 2006.Continue to 16 of 17 below.
16 of 17
White House Library - Christmas Pictures
The fireplace in the library at the White House is adorned with Christmas greenery. Here's how it looked in 2006.Continue to 17 of 17 below.
17 of 17
White House East Wing Christmas Wreath
A Christmas wreath is often hung outside of the East Wing of the White House. Here's one from 2006.