Love to ski but hate leaving Fido at home? The whole family can come on a snow vacation to top-rated Whistler Ski Resort, which is a surprisingly dog-friendly place.
What will Fido do while you're on the slopes? Services include: Whistler Vet Services doggy daycare, Alpine Dogs dog walking and dog sitting services, Whistler Dog Sitting dog sitting service, and dog walking services from Whistler Dog Walkers.
Dogs are welcome to explore Whistler Village with you but must be on a leash. Some shops are dog-friendly, but you should inquire before entering. Our family thoroughly enjoyed strolling with Buddy on a snowy evening in the village.
Whistler is a leash law community which means generally on-leash for parks and trails. Dogs can join cross country skiers, hikers, and snowshoers on certain local trails, including in Whistler Olympic Park.
Sixteen hotels are found on a list of dog-friendly accommodations at Whistler. This includes posh (but family-friendly) places such as the Four Seasons Resort Whistler, which has a complimentary Very Important Pet program that includes a doggie bowl and bed and house-made biscuits.
We had a very comfortable stay at the upscale Crystal Lodge, where your doggie gets a special blanket and is certain to attract plenty of attention from other guests in the lobby, especially from little kids.
Vacation home rentals are also a popular choice with families and many allow pets. Tourism Whistler can help you locate dog-friendly lodgings for your trip.
A few things to keep in mind:
- most properties charge extra cleaning fees for pets which can range between $25-$50
- dogs shouldn't be left unattended in the hotel room because, among other things, it's disruptive to housekeeping
- some hotels allow you to kennel your pets while you're out of the room
- in-room sitting services are available at Whistler Dog Sitting
- your dog might bark when he hears voices outside your hotel room, so be prepared to do some on-the-spot training
- if you're considering bringing your dog into Canada from the U.S., know that all dogs and cats are legally required to have current rabies vaccinations and papers. Dogs can enter Canada without quarantine from any country
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.
- Edited by Suzanne Rowan Kelleher