The Spanish Easter celebrations go on for a lot longer than they do in most of the world. The Spanish Easter celebrations, Semana Santa in Spanish or Holy Week in English, last for over a week. Below are the dates for Semana Santa 2017.
Read more about Semana Santa in Spain.
Spain's events calendar extends to a lot more than just Catholic devotion. Spain has giant food fights, bull running and much more.
Read more here: Spain's Best Festivals
Which are the Best Cities to for Semana Santa?
Most visitors to Spain head to Andalusia (particularly Seville and Malaga) for the cities' famous Easter celebrations. However, Castilla y Leon is also an interesting place to see Semana Santa celebrations. Read more about Semana Santa: City by City.
If you want to escape Easter, it is easy to avoid in Madrid and Barcelona. However, expect shops to close towards the end of the week all over the country.
Semana Santa 2017 Dates
The earlier dates are not celebrated all over the country, with the first weekend most often celebrated in Toledo and other areas of central Spain. The later dates are celebrated in most of the country, with normal life pretty much stopping.
- Viernes de Dolores April 7, 2017. Only celebrated in parts of Spain.
- Sábado de Pasión April 8, 2017. Only celebrated in parts of Spain.
- Domingo de Ramos April 9, 2017
- Lunes Santo April 10, 2017
- Martes Santo April 11, 2017
- Miércoles Santo April 12, 2017
- Jueves Santo April 13, 2017
- Viernes Santo April 14, 2017
- Sabado de Gloria April 15, 2017
- Domingo de la Resurrección April 16, 2017. (Easter Sunday). The most important day in Semana Santa.
- Lunes de Pascua April 17, 2017. Only celebrated in parts of Spain.
Other Important Dates Related to Semana Santa 2017
As in other countries with a strong Christian tradition, there are lots of dates that are related to Easter and Semana Santa.
- Ash Wednesday The start of Lent, and carnival celebrations, will be on March 1, 2017.
- Lunes de Aguas An unusual event in Salamanca which traditionally was about welcoming the cities, um, 'ladies of the night' back into the city after Lent, takes place eight days after Easter Sunday, on April 24, 2016.
- Feria de Abril Seville's traditional post-Easter celebrations tend to start two weeks after Semana Santa. These dates are still unconfirmed, but they should be May 2 to May 7, 2017. The confusion of the exact starting date, as I understand it, is that celebrations start at midnight on Monday night, which is technically Tuesday morning.
- Corpus Christi A particularly popular event in Seville, this will take place on June 15, 2017.