In 2017, the August Civic Holiday is Monday, August 7. This provincial holiday occurs in most all of the Canadian provinces and territories annually on the first Monday of August, giving some Canadians a break mid-summer.
Most stores and services that normally open a weekends will operate on the Monday August Civic Holiday.
Stores and services operate as usual on the Saturday and Sunday of this long weekend.
For the provinces that do have a civic holiday, here is an overview of openings and closures (may vary slightly by location - call ahead to confirm).
Closed on Monday, August 7, 2017
- Most child-care centres
- Government offices
- Post offices / no mail delivery (post offices operated by the private sector may be open)
Open on Monday, August 7, 2017
- Many Liquor/Beer Stores - possibly at reduced hours (check specific locations)
- Most grocery stores, supermarkets and convenience stores - possibly at reduced hours
- Tourist destinations, such as the CN Tower, the Vancouver Aquarium, museums, galleries etc.
- Public transit on a holiday schedule
- Garden centres