Goa, India's most famed beach destination, has a hot tropical climate with three main seasons (winter, summer, and monsoon). The state's location between the Western Ghat mountains and the Arabian Sea midway on the west coast of India means it's protected from extreme temperature fluctuations that commonly occur elsewhere in the country. However, humidity does rise sharply during summer, making it feel much hotter than it actually is! Winter is the optimal time to make the most of what Goa has to offer, but the wet season has its own charm if you head inland.
The Arabian Sea bordering the Goa coastline remains delightfully warm throughout the year, with an average temperature of about 84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius). Conditions aren't always safe for swimming though.
Here's what you need to know about the climate and weather in Goa when planning your trip.
Fast Climate Facts
- Hottest Month: May (86 degrees F / 30 degrees C)
- Coldest Month: January (77 degrees F / 25 degrees C)
- Wettest Month: July, 39 inches
The Wet Season in Goa
The beginning of June is the start of the wet season in Goa, with the southwest monsoon causing rain in the state through September. This brings to an end to the glorious sunny skies that are prevalent the rest of the year! During June and July, it will rain most days although not necessarily all day. Sometimes there will be thunderstorms and long heavy downpours, while at other times the downpours will only be brief.
The rain eases up in August, and rain-free days become more plentiful. You can expect it to rain on about half of the days in August and September. However, even if it doesn't rain, the skies may still be cloudy and overcast.
If you visit Goa at this time of year with the aim of experiencing the state's iconic beaches and parties, you'll be disappointed. Choppy seas rule out swimming and water sports, and the beach shacks are all packed up. The positive is that inland Goa is particularly lush and alive. The wet season is the ideal time to enjoy Goa the local way and spend time amid nature. There are plenty of things to do including festivals, white water rafting, spice plantations, heritage walks, museums, and casinos.
Check out this guide to Goa in the monsoon season for more information.
Winter in Goa
Winter is understandably peak season in Goa. The weather is dry with consistently clear skies, warm days, and balmy nights. Humidity is refreshingly at a minimum as well. Winter usually starts setting in by early December, with a welcome drop in humidity. The daytime temperature remains around 88-90 degrees F (31-32 degrees C) throughout winter, while the nighttime temperature rarely falls below 65 degrees F (18 degrees C).
What to Pack: Beachwear, and a jacket or long-sleeved top in case it gets chilly at night. Dress standards are liberal in Goa, unlike other places in India, so you don't need to cover up. Short dresses, skirts, and tank tops are fine.
Average Temperatures by Month:
- December: 90 degrees F (32 degrees C) / 70 degrees F (21 degrees C)
- January: 88 degrees F (31 degrees C) / 68 degrees F (20 degrees C)
- February: 88 degrees F (31 degrees C) / 68 degrees F (20 degrees C)
Summer in Goa
If you visit Goa in summer, be prepared to sweat! Although the daytime temperature generally remains around 92 degrees F (33 degrees C), the nighttime temperature gradually climbs to reach 82 degrees F (28 degrees C) by May. Couple this with high humidity of over 75 percent and it's quite unbearable. While March isn't too energy-sapping, avoid Goa in April and May unless you're planning on swimming a lot or lazing by the pool. Alternatively, the mountains inland provide some relief. Towards the end of May, as the monsoon starts approaching, the weather becomes more sultry and there may be a thunderstorm or two. This brings the temperature down but the humidity is worse if there's no rain, particularly in the evenings.
What to Pack: The same as for winter, minus the jacket or long-sleeved top.
Average Temperatures by Month:
- March: 91 degrees F (33 degrees C) / 73 degrees F (23 degrees C)
- April: 91 degrees F (33 degrees C) / 79 degrees F (26 degrees C)
- May: 91 degrees F (33 degrees C) / 82 degrees F (28 degrees C)
Monsoon in Goa
The much-anticipated southwest monsoon usually reaches Goa in the first week of June. It's a welcome change after the oppressive summer weather. Temperatures reduce slightly during the monsoon season but the humidity level increases to about 85 percent. Frequent rainfall in June and July means it doesn't feel too muggy though.
What to Pack: Umbrella, waterproof footwear, and fabrics that dry easily. This monsoon season packing list for India provides a comprehensive list.
Average Temperatures and Rainfall by Month:
- June: 90 degrees F (32 degrees C) / 81 degrees F (27 degrees C), 34 inches
- July: 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) / 79 degrees F (26 degrees C), 39 inches
- August: 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) / 79 degrees F (26 degrees C), 20 inches
- September: 88 degrees F (31 degrees C) / 81 degrees F (27 degrees C), 10 inches
Post-Monsoon in Goa
Expect some spells of rain in October, mainly in the evenings, as the weather transitions from the monsoon season. Days are hot and humid, and you'll definitely want accommodations with air-conditioning. November is a better month to visit Goa, with minimal chance of rain. The approach of winter is usually noticeable in late November, as humidity eases off and nights cool down.
What to Pack: The same as for summer—beachwear.
Average Temperatures by Month:
- October: 91 degrees F (33 degrees C) / 77 degrees F (25 degrees C)
- November: 91 degrees F (33 degrees C) / 73 degrees F (23 degrees C)
Average Monthly Temperature, Rainfall, and Daylight Hours
Along the coast, the daytime temperature in Goa rarely drops below 82 degrees F (28 degrees C) or rises above 95 degrees F (35 degrees C). Goa's proximity to the Equator and the Tropic of Cancer also means there's not a lot of variation in the number of daylight hours during the year. The state gets about 13 hours daylight on the longest day and a bit over 11 hours daylight on the shortest day.
The average temperature, inches of rain, and daylight hours for each month are as follows:
- January: (77 F / 25 C); 0 inches; 11 hours.
- February: (79 F / 26 C); 0 inches; 12 hours.
- March: (82 F / 28 C); 0 inches; 12 hours.
- April: (84 F / 29 C); 0.5 inches; 13 hours.
- May: (86 F / 30 C); 4.5 inches; 13 hours.
- June: (84 F / 29 C); 34 inches; 13 hours.
- July: (82 F / 28 C); 39 inches; 13 hours.
- August: (82 F / 28 C); 20 inches; 13 hours.
- September: (84 F / 29 C); 10 inches; 12 hours.
- October: (84 F / 29 C); 5 inches; 12 hours.
- November: (82 F / 28 C); 1 inch; 11 hours.
- December: (81 F / 27 F); 0.5 inches; 11 hours.