Like most every other government funded service, the Washoe County Library System has cut hours and employees to deal with the reality of less revenue with which to operate. Here are the library operating hours, effective October 31, 2011. This information will be updated should it change.
Public libraries are an indispensable service provided by local government. Without our libraries, we would all be poorer in many ways and society would be a bit less civilized. In Washoe County, as elsewhere, free public libraries provide the community with a wealth of knowledge through access to books, periodicals, video materials, programs for children, teens, and seniors, places for meetings, and much more.
Washoe County Library Hours Effective October 6, 2014
See the Washoe County Library website for library branch locations.
- Downtown Reno: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, closed Friday and Saturday.
- Sierra View: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday.
- Sparks: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday.
- Northwest Reno: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday - Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday.
- South Valleys: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday - Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday.
- Spanish Springs: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday - Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, closed Friday and Saturday.
- Incline Village: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday.
- North Valleys: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday.
- Duncan/Traner: 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, closed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
- Senior Center: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday - Friday, closed Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
- Verdi: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.
- Gerlach: call for hours - (775) 557-2326.
Other Washoe County Library Services
For those with Internet access, several services are available without actually having to go to a library branch. For example, you can search the card catalog, renew books, and apply for a library card.
Community Resource Center
As of November 1, 2011, the Community Resource Center will no longer be located in the Sierra View Library. This service will be available in the Sparks Library and Downtown Reno Library. Services will be available 7 days a week. Call (775) 327-8370 for available hours.
Secondhand Prose Bookstore
Secondhand Prose Bookstore and Gift Shop is managed and staffed by volunteers. The store offers a selection of gifts and vintage, collectible, and gift book titles as a means to raise funds for the Friends of Washoe County Library. Secondhand Prose is located in the Gallery at the Northwest Reno Library, 2325 Robb Drive. The information phone is (775) 787-4125. Here are the hours...
- Tuesday - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday - 12 noon to 7 p.m.
- Thursday and Friday - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday - 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Closed Sunday and Monday
Read Again Bookstore
Read Again Bookstore is the Washoe County Library's outlet for bargains on used (and some new) books, CDs, DVDs, collectibles, children’s books, and Nevada books. It is a permanent facility and replaces the twice yearly Booksale Bonanza event. Instead of just twice a year, Read Again Bookstore will have several annual sales. Go to my "Read Again Bookstore at the Washoe County Library" article for times, dates, and details. The new bookstore is located in the Reno Town Mall, right next door to the Sierra View Library branch.
Volunteer With the Washoe County Library
Volunteers, which have been helping provide library services for years, are now needed more than ever. If you are interested in volunteering, you can apply by downloading the volunteer registration form and sending it to Washoe County Library Administration, P.O. Box 2151, Reno, NV 89505. You can also use the online application form. For more information, call (775) 327-8300.
Source: Washoe County Library.