Ring in the New Year at a family-friendly event near Washington, D.C. These communities in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs host First Night and other events to welcome the new year with your kids. Enjoy live entertainment and make some special memories with your whole family.
- New Year's Annapolis - Annapolis, MD. This event is based on the “First Night” concept and brings this Maryland community together for a New Year's Eve celebration. The event includes live musical entertainment and will feature two fireworks displays, an early show for families and early-risers and a traditional midnight spectacular to ring in the new year.
- Midnight at 7 - Columbia, MD. The family fun New Year's eve celebration at a Symphony of Lights, a drive through Christmas light display on the grounds of Merriweather Post Pavilion. Walk through the lights, enjoy entertainment, dancing and other exciting activities
- First Night Alexandria - Alexandria. VA. Ring in the New Year with a celebration with entertainment for all ages. Musical performances will be held inside Old Town Alexandria’s historic buildings and many events will be held at the Masonic Temple on Callahan Drive. At Midnight, celebrate the New Year while watching the beautiful fireworks display over the Potomac River.
- Fairfax Four Miler - Fairfax, VA. The City of Fairfax hosts a family friendly end of the year running event to bring the community together for an evening of healthy fun. This event will support the Fairfax Police Youth Club. The post race party will include food and entertainment.
- Watch Night - Falls Church - Falls Church, VA. The family friendly New Year's Eve celebration features a variety of entertainment, performances and interactive activities. The evening concludes with a New Year’s countdown and lowering of the historic star that first lit the Falls Church sky in 1948 – the year Falls Church became an independent city.
- First Night Winchester - Winchester, VA. The event brings the community together with multiple stages featuring live entertainment throughout the evening. Performances include folk, jazz, bluegrass, oldies, puppet shows, kids events and more. Local restaurants are open and offer discounts in First Taste of Winchester. At midnight, participants welcome in the New Year with the official “Apple Drop” and midnight fireworks display.
- Downtown 31- Fredericksburg, VA. The whole family will enjoy an evening of live performances by local and regional artists performed in historic churches, business and the streets of downtown Fredericksburg. The festivities end with a midnight celebration to welcome the New Year.
- First Night Williamsburg - Williamsburg, VA. First Night is a family friendly, alcohol-free community celebration of the New Year with a festival celebrating the performing arts at venues in the City of Williamsburg, on the campus of The College of William and Mary and other sites, which become stages that involve the public, feature the traditions of our area, and end in a glorious fireworks finale.
For more celebration ideas, see 10 Ways to Celebrate New Years Eve in Washington, D.C.