Looking for a special way to spend Mother’s Day? The Washington DC area offers endless opportunities for family fun and this annual celebration is a great time to honor the women in your life. Many of the region's attractions offer special events and promotions to help you focus on creating a loving and memorable day. Here are some ideas of ways to spend some family time on Mother’s Day in Washington, DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia.
- Mother's Day Brunch - Take mom out to brunch this Mother's Day. There are plenty of restaurants with special dining and entertainment for mom and the whole family. Reservations are suggested.
- Tudor Place Mother's Day Tea - Celebrate Mother’s Day sampling period teas, finger sandwiches, and delicious desserts at the historic house museum in Georgetown. Explore the mansion with a house tour, and see fashion worn by mothers, daughters, and grandmothers over the past 200 years. Registration required.
Tours and Outdoors
- Cruises along the Potomac River - Take mom on a brunch or dinner cruise and enjoy beautiful views of the scenery along the Potomac River in Washington, DC. These special tours fill up quickly, so make your reservations early.
- Free Mother’s Day Tours at Gadsby’s Tavern Museum - Gadsby’s Tavern Museum offers free tours on Mother’s Day from 12 to 5 p.m. for all visiting mothers! Treat Mom to a tour of the historic tavern that George Washington frequented in Old Town Alexandria. Tours begin at quarter past and quarter ‘til the hour.
- Gardens in the Washington, DC area - May is the most beautiful time of year to take a walk and see the wonderful gardens in the Washington, DC area. Here are some special places to enjoy the beauty and fresh fragrance of beautiful plants and flowers.
- Hiking and picnicking - The best places to hike in the area are also great spots to have a family picnic. Spend the day together in the great outdoors and appreciate the natural beauty of the Washington, DC area.
- Guided tours of Washington, DC - Has your mom really seen all of the sites of Washington? Many people who live near the nation's capital have not seen all of the popular attractions. Guided tours can be fun for the whole family and there are lots of unique tours to appeal to a wide range of interests.
- Mother's Day at Mount Vernon - Join the “Mother of Our Country,” Martha Washington, and her granddaughter “Nelly” as they celebrate Mother's weekend with visitors at George Washington's Estate. Take the whole family and explore the beautiful mansion, the gardens, and the grounds. The Mount Vernon Inn also serves a special buffet on Sunday (reservations are required).