Summertime brings a variety of free concerts to the Washington DC area. So, pack a picnic, grab your lawn chairs and head outdoors to listen to great local music. Here are some suggestions of places to find free concerts in Dc and the Maryland and Virginia suburbs. Check out these family friendly performances and listen to a variety of local bands and musicians.
Washington, DC Concerts
- Military Band Concerts - The Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force bands perform on alternating days at a variety of destinations throughout the summer. Just about every night of the season you can find a free concert.
- U.S. Capitol - (West Front), National Mall. Military Bands perform throughout the summer. (See details above) Special concerts are also held in honor of Memorial Day, the 4th of July and Labor Day.
- U.S. Navy Memorial - 7th and Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC. The U.S. Navy Band performs on the Navy Memorial Plaza at 8:00 p.m. every Tuesday between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden - 7th St, and Constitution Ave, NW, Washington, DC. Jazz in the Garden is held every Friday evening.
- Washington Harbour - Georgetown - K Street NW. Washington DC. A variety of local bands perform on the plaza along the Potomac waterfront on Wednesday evenings throughout the summer.
- Capitol Riverfront - Yards Park, Washington, DC. Enjoy a variety of concerts on Friday evenings throughout the summer.
- Eastern Market - 7th Street & North Carolina Avenue, SE, Washington, DC. Enjoy a sampling of the Washington area's best blues, bluegrass, jazz, swing, and international musicians. Sundays in May and June, and returning in September and October.
- Fort Dupont Summer Theatre - Fort Dupont Park, Minnesota Ave. and Randle Circle, SE, Washington, DC. Jazz concerts are Saturdays at 6 p.m.
- Woodrow Wilson Plaza - 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC. Free concerts offered at lunchtime at the Ronald Reagan International Trade Building.
- Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian - 4th St. and Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC. Indian Summer Showcase, a summer evening concert series outside the museum's main entrance on the Welcome Plaza, features Native music from throughout the Americas.
- National Harbor - National Harbor, Maryland. Enjoy free jazz concerts along the Potomac River on Friday evenings.
- Bethesda - Veterans Park, Norfolk and Woodmont Avenues, Bethesda, Maryland. Concerts include a range of music including jazz, rock, blues, international and swing. Performances on Thursday evenings.
- Glen Echo Park - 7300 MacArthur Blvd. Glen Echo, Maryland. The concert series includes a wide range of music, from Clarence “The Blues Man” Turner, to QuinTango, to the Rockville Swing Band.
- Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion - 31 South Summit Ave, Gaithersburg, Maryland. A variety of performances are offered for children, adults and the whole family.
- Rio Entertainment Center - Gaithersburg, Maryland. Live music is played outdoors on Saturday evenings.
- BlackRock Center for the Arts - 20105 Town Commons Road, Germantown, Maryland. Free outdoor concerts are available on Saturday evenings.
- Strathmore Hall - 10701 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Maryland. Free outdoor concerts are held on Wednesday evenings throughout the summer.
- Glenview Mansion - 603 Edmonston Drive, Rockville, Maryland. On select Sunday afternoons free concerts are offered.
- Rockville Town Square - Rockville, Maryland. Free outdoor concerts are held on the Square on Friday evenings. Kids nights and outdoor movies also entertain families throughout the summer.
- Downtown Frederick -Baker Park, Frederick, Maryland. The summer concert series features musical performances in a variety of genres and styles on Sunday evenings.
- Downtown Silver Spring - 2 locations, Ellsworth Drive and Veterans Plaza. Free summer concerts feature a variety of musical styles – from swing, jazz and soul to Latin, rhythm and blues, and rock and roll.
- St. Charles Sunset Concert Festival - 10400 O’Donnell Place. St. Charles, Maryland. A variety of musical groups perform by the lake on Thursday evenings throughout the summer.
Northern Virginia Concerts
- Netherlands Carillon - Route 50 and the George Washington Memorial Parkway, Arlington, Virginia. Performances Saturday afternoons.
- Potomac Overlook Regional Park - 2845 N. Marcey Road, Arlington, Virginia. Concerts held on Saturday evenings.
- Old Town Alexandria - Concerts are held in a variety of locations in Alexandria, Virginia throughout the summer including Fort Ward Park, Oronoco Bay Park, Market Square, Canal Center and more.
- Tysons Corner Center - 1961 Chain Bridge Rd. Tysons Corner, VA. Free concerts are held on the Plaza on Friday evenings throughout the summer.
- Reston Town Center - The annual free concert series features live bands on Saturday nights performing a variety of music including blues, swing, jazz, Latin fusion, bluegrass, zydeco, and more.
- Lubber Run Amphitheater - Arlington - North Columbus Street & 2nd Street North, Arlington, Virginia. Free concerts are held throughout the summer at Lubber Run Park on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.
- Cherry Hill Park - Falls Church - 312 Park Ave., Falls Church, Virginia. The Thursday evening concert series features local musicians of various genres.
- Fairfax County Parks - A wide variety of free concerts are offered in a number of Virginia parks. Performances range from children's puppet shows to big band, jazz, bluegrass, rock, classical and world music.
- Herndon Town Green - 777 Lynn Street, Herndon, Virginia. Friday Night Live! presents free outdoor concerts every Friday night.
- Historic Leesburg - 25 West Market St., Leesburg, Virginia. Saturday night free outdoor concerts are performed on the the front lawn of the Leesburg Town Hall.
- City of Manassas - Harris Pavilion, 9116 Center St., Manassas, Virginia. The Summer Sounds concerts are scheduled on alternate Saturday evenings throughout the summer.
More About Summer in Washington DC
- Summer Family Fun in Washington DC
- Summer Theater in Washington DC
- Free Outdoor Movies in Washington DC