The Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps Tour takes you back in time to see Disneyland the way the park's founder Walt Disney envisioned.
This tour was renamed and re-formatted in 2012, so if you took it before then, you may want to do it again. And if you have heard that you can get inside Walt Disney's private apartment on the tour, that is no longer true.
What's Special About the Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps Tour
Disneyland in California is the only Disney park that Walt Disney actually walked in and it's the easiest place to connect with the man who started it all.
The tour can take you behind the scenes and into places that you wouldn't be able to see otherwise, but it's more than just insider access. The super-knowledgeable tour guides will tell you more than you ever imagined about Disneyland lore and history.
What the Tour Includes
Besides learning some great Disneyland and Walt Disney history, you'll make several stops at places that were significant to Walt Disney and others that connect with his very personal vision. Lunch is from the Jolly Holiday Bakery and you'll be asked to make your lunch choices when you check in for the tour.
However, if you've taken a behind-the-scenes tour in Florida, don't expect this one to give you so much backstage access.
Good and Bad About the Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps Tour
The tour is fun and informative and even after writing two books about Disneyland, I learned a lot of things I didn't know before. If you've been to Disneyland before and don't feel like you have to fit every ride in the park into the same day, it's a fun addition to the Disneyland experience.
And if you're a real Disney fan, it's a must. We've even heard of people taking the whole tour just for that peek inside Club 33.
On the downside, taking the tour will consume almost half of your Disneyland day. It would be fun for a repeat visitor or as part of a three- or four-day visit, but unless you're an extreme Walt Disney fan, it takes up too much of your time on a shorter or first visit.
The tour lasts more than 3 hours and there's quite a bit of standing and listening to the tour guide, which may not be the way your wiggly three-year-old wants to spend their time.
My friend and I also love the beautiful souvenir pin that we received at the end of tour, but I'm not going to ruin the surprise by telling you what it looks like.
More Reviews and Ratings of Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps Tour
- Writing at touringplans.com, Tammy Withing says: "In my opinion, it’s great even for frequent Disneyland visitors."
- Mouseplanet says: "Walking away after a stroll with Uncle Walt, the biggest impression that's left is one of awe."
Just the Facts about the Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps Tour
- Tour schedules vary, but they are usually given at least once a day. Call 714-781-8687 to get the current timings. You can reserve your tour up to one month in advance
- For questions about accessibility and request for sign language of foreign language interpretation, call the reservations number above
- You'll have to buy a Disneyland entrance ticket in addition to paying for the tour. Season passholders and those who pay with a Disney Visa card get a discount
- The tour lasts about three hours and includes a light lunch (which is covered in the tour price)
More Disneyland Magic
If you love Disneyland enough to take this tour, then you're ready to start ticking off the items on this list of 8 Things That Must Be on Every Disneyland Fan's Bucket List.