Looking for an affordable fall getaway in the Midwest? You'd be hard pressed to beat Traverse City, in Michigan's "True North," which TripAdvisor.com named as one of America’s Top 10 Fall Foliage Destinations.
Set at the edge of Lake Michigan, Traverse City’s characteristic landscape of rolling ridges, lush forests and wide expanses of open water is the perfect canvas for Mother Nature’s annual fall masterpiece.
At the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, an amazing transformation takes place each fall, as the towering bluffs and islands burst into sheets of flaming scarlet, orange and gold.
When are Fab Fall specials available in Traverse City?
The promotion runs the entire autumn season, from September 6 to December 15, 2016.
Many of Traverse City's resorts and hotels are offering special fall rates and you'll find discounts on shopping, dining, wine purchases, movies, spa services, golf, entertainment, family fun and more.
Fun with Kids in Traverse City
Don't miss these family attractions while you're in Traverse City this fall:
- Jacob's Corn Maze: Every autumn, families flock to this ginormous corn maze in fields the size of 10 football fields. There are 4.5 miles of trails--with three sizes of mazes, from a .3-mile easy stroll for little ones to a 2.5-mile challenge for families with older kids. There's also a pumpkin patch, apple sling, and horse-drawn wagon rides. (7100 M-72 West)
- Great Lakes Children's Museum: For families with younger kids age 8 and under, this children's museum offers plenty of fun, interactive ways to learn about ships and the Great Lakes. Climb into a lighthouse, play dress up, see how a lock-and-dam system works. (13240 S. West Bay Shore Dr.)
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore: A 25-mile drive west from Traverse City, this amazing destination along Lake Michigan is known for its enormous coastal sand dunes and bluffs. There are beaches and offshore islands, too, and forests of birch, pine, beech and maple to explore. ( 6748 S. Dune Hwy., Glen Arbor)
- Clinch Park: With a fantastic beachside location right in town, this park is popular with families who kids want to blow off some steam at the playground and watch boats at the marina. (400 Boardman Ave.)
- Pirate's Cove Adventure Park: Along with mini golf, go-karts and bumper boats, this family-fun attraction also offers a zip line and high-ropes course. (1710 N. US Highway 31 N.)