Villa Meneghetti Winery Hotel: Luxury Travel Bliss in Istria, Croatia
Villa Meneghetti: Deluxe Winery Hotel in Croatia's Unspoiled Istria
Villa Meneghetti goes by several names. It is also known as Meneghetti Wine Hotel & Restaurant, and locally as Stancija Meneghetti.
By any name, this high-end property furnishes a complete luxury getaway on a secluded estate.
• It is a hotel, winery, and restaurant: you can stay here, or dine here at the renowned restaurant, or visit for wine tastings
• Children are welcome, but this is a sophisticated resort with grown-up culinary pursuits
Location of Meneghetti Wine Hotel, Restaurant & Winery?
Meneghetti is set in the coastal small town of Bale on Croatia's western peninsula, Istria.
• Here on Luxury Travel, all the reasons Istria is called "the New Tuscany"
• And goes one better: Tuscany does not have Istria's scenic Adriatic beaches!
How Do You Get to Villa Meneghetti?
Most visitors combine a stay at Villa Meneghetti with other destinations in Istria, such as Roman-era Pula and the scenic island village of Rovinj.
• Istria is much closer to Italy than to western Croatian destinations such as Dubrovnik
• From Venice (a nonstop flight from the U.S.), Croatia is a three-and-a-half-hour drive
Villa Meneghetti Is a Relais & Chateaux Hotel
Villa Meneghetti is a luxurious Relais & Chateaux property.
• Like all members of this elite French hotel association, Villa Meneghetti offers handsome accommodations and noted gourmet cuisine
• Find out more about the deluxe, delicious Relais & Chateaux hotel brand
The Country Estate Experience
Villa Meneghetti strives to make visitors feel like they are being pampered at home -- if your home is a dignified Istrian villa.
The villa is laid out in classic estate fashion.
• It is approached by a long entrance road, and its façade (shown) is surrounded by olive trees and vineyards
• The dining room is just ahead of you on a covered porch, with tables indoors and out
• A cozy courtyard anticipates guests with white couches, flowering shrubs, and vines twisting around trellises
• An outdoor pool promises lazy afternoons in the water, on chaises, and and daybeds
Next: intrigued? See the rooms at Villa Meneghetti
Guest Rooms at Villa Meneghetti Winery Hotel & Restaurant
What the Hotel Rooms Are Like at Villa Meneghetti
Villa Meneghetti is even smaller than a boutique hotel, with just four guest accommodations. These rooms and suites are quiet, private, and charming, with a rustic-meets-modern look.
• Antique touches abound: handcrafted wood-beamed ceilings and stairs, wooden floors, white-washed walls, Oriental rugs
• But the bathrooms are high-design and spa-like
Amenities in All Villa Meneghetti Rooms and Suites
Rooms may have views of the grounds or the vineyards. But all offer:
• Air conditioning (not always a given in Europe)
• Flatscreen TV
• Frette bathrobes and slippers
• Mosaic-tiled bathroom with walk-in shower, bidet, and hairdryer
• Bottled water on arrival; subsequent bottles for purchase
• Complimentary wifi
The Four Rooms at Villa Meneghetti
• The Deluxe Room is a cozy attic garret of 238 square feet, with two twin beds that can be joined
• The Superior room is nearly twice the size, with two full beds
• The Deluxe Sute is a rambling duplex with a king bed
• The nearly 700-square-foot Meneghetti Master Suite has a king bed, fireplace, and vast bathroom with hydro-massage shower and soaking tub
Breakfast Is Included
Villa Meneghetti guests are invited to a lavish buffet breakfast daily.
• Dishes include fresh-baked breads and pastries, local cheeses, artisanal sausages
Next: come hungry for Villa Meneghetti's dining
Dining at Villa Meneghetti Winery Hotel & Restaurant
Villa Meneghetti Restaurant: Country-Elegant Relais & Chateaux Dining
Istria is getting a name for its culinary heritage, and Villa Meneghetti Restaurant showcases the cuisine at its best.
• Istria was a part of the Roman Empire and more recently of Italy, and the food scene is like the Boot's: pasta, seafood, truffles, olive oil
• You’ll definitely see and taste the Italian influence at Villa Meneghetti Restaurant
But This Is Not Italian Food...It's Istrian
Every course at Villa Meneghetti Restaurant is proudly made with fresh Istrian ingredients, some grown right on the estate. You wouldn't be served these recipes anywhere but right here.
• Local seafood looms large; Istria is a coastal region, and the villa is only a mile from the Adriatic Sea
• Many dishes are strewn with truffles sniffed out of Istrian soil by trained dogs
• Pasta is made right in the kitchen daily
• Local cheeses include a distinctive goat cheese
The Hotel is Home to Meneghetti Olive Oil
Villa Meneghetti's property-made olive oil, made in several types and styles, consistently wins awards.
• The oil is sources from the estate's own olive trees
• The house olive oil is never far from your plate and sometimes splashed on it as a garnish
• One elegant meal-ender: a dish of ice cream with rich Belgian chocolate and a splatter of Meneghetti olive oil
Meet Villa Meneghetti's Chefs
The villa's chefs are a husband-and-wife team, Daniela and Bojan
• They are both natives of Istria, and passionate about local foodstuffs and recipes
Find Out More
• Villa Meneghetti Restaurant
• Sample menu
Next: the renowned Meneghetti Wines winery and tasting room
Villa Meneghetti's Renowned Winery, Meneghetti Wines
Meneghetti Wines: Boutique Winery at Villa Meneghetti
Croatian wine earns high praise from oenophiles. Meneghetti Wines, one of the best-known labels, is a high-end winery that is emphasizes quality over quantity.
• The winery produce wine as far back as the 1850s, but its current wine program was undertaken in 2001 by the villa's owners
• Meneghetti Wines' grapes are picked by hand and produced with care
Your Kind of Wine?
Meneghetti Wines grows a range of grapes made into varietal wines and blends.
• Full-bodied reds include Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah
• Whites include Chardonnay (refreshing and unoaked) and Malvazija (Malvasia), a grape native to Istria
Beyond Red or White Wines
• The Meneghetti winery also produces rosé
• And a pink, French-style sparkling wine: Meneghetti Classic
• And blends, both red and white
• Meneghetti's Kuca Glavi wines are made from grapes grown across the Adriatic near Dubrovnik
You Can Enjoy Them All in the Tasting Room
Meneghetti Wines' wood-and-stone tasting room opened in 2015. Now, guests and visitors can sample and buy the estate's output.
The tasting room offers a range of experiences.
• You can order by the glass or bottle
• Or compare different grapes or vintage years in tasting flights
Shop at Meneghetti Wines' Tasting Room
These wines are not currently available in the U.S., and you can't count on finding them at the airport.
• So make your purchases right here at the winery
Find Out More about Villa Meneghetti's Winery and Wines
Next: lots to do in and near Villa Meneghetti
More Things to Do at Villa Meneghetti Winery Hotel & Restaurant
Villa Meneghetti Winery Hotel & Restaurant Is a Country Vacation
Most Villa Meneghetti guests come to relax in a refined inn with great food and wine. But there's a lot more to do here.
On-Property Relaxation at Villa Meneghetti
The hotel offers two swimming pools: an outdoor pool surrounded by chaise lounges, and an indoor pool in a glass-and-stone room.
• The estate is also ideal for leisurely walks on paths and through the vineyards
• There's no spa, but the concierge can easily arrange and in-room massage
Off-Property Recreation at Villa Meneghetti
The surrounding Istrian countryside and coast offer outdoor activities amidst unspoiled nature.
• A beautiful Adriatic beach is within walking distance, and others are within a few miles
• Adriatic snorkeling and diving are outstanding thanks to crystalline visibility
• The villa lends guests bikes and helmets for cycling near the shore and in the hills
• Local hiking can be challenging or moderate, and always scenic
• Adventurers can try paragliding and hang gliding, rock climbing, caving, or sky-diving
History Beckons, Too
Guests who want to immerse themselves in Istria's fascinating history can wander through picturesque medieval towns nearby.
• Villa Meneghetti's home village of Bale has a lovely town center (shown)
Next: love it? And/or planning a trip to Croatia? Find out more about Villa Meneghetti