01 of 05
Viceroy Zihuatanejo: Beautiful, Quiet Luxury Resort on Mexico's Pacific Beach
Why Is Viceroy Zihyatanejo So Popular?
Viceroy Zihuatanejo is a lovely beach resort in Zihuatanejo, a quiet resort town on Mexico's Pacific coast. "Zihua" is the low-key counterpart to its neighbor, the trendier, livelier Ixtapa. Not so long ago sleepy fishing village, Zihuatanejo now welcomes visitors with genuine willingness to please and a commitment to preserve its own authenticity.
Viceroy Zihuatanejo is a small resort that enjoys a 1,000-foot stretch of a postcard-perfect beach, Playa la Ropa. This crescent of soft sand is famed for its gentle waters and spectacular, West-facing sunsets.
• Read Nikki's complete luxury travel guide to Zihuatanejo
The resort is a property of Viceroy Hotels and Resorts, a growing, US-based luxury hotel brand. Viceroy Zihuatanejo was built in 1981 and was recently renovated.
North American visitors can fly nonstop to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo from Los Angeles, Houston, Phoenix, and (in winter/spring high season) Dallas and Denver. Other visitors... change planes in Mexico City.
How Luxurious Is Viceroy Zihuatanejo?
Viceroy Zihuatanejo is considered a four-and-a-half-star luxury hotel, with inviting accommodations and refined service. It's a perennial winner of awards and accolades from the likes of Travel + Leisure and Tripadvisor.
The resort is priced a la carte, but value-minded all-inclusive packages and other promotions are available on the hotel's offers page.
The property is green, with a broad commitment to sustainability that ranges from use of gentle cleansers to sea turtle conservation.
Children are permitted at Viceroy Zihuatanejo. But the resort's guests are mainly couples interested in lounging together on the beach and in their private plunge pool, and sharing margaritas at sunset. Or running on the beach with their pooch; this resort is a pet-friendly hotel.
A Big Draw: The Service at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
Viceroy Zihuatanejo is a high-end, service-centric hotel choice in Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo. From the moment they approach the resort, guests relish five-star hospitality service.
Visitors are personally escorted to their room or suite. They will find that their bed, clad with luxurious white linens, is topped with flower petals that spell WELCOME HOME. This staff attitude of what can we do for you? will continue throughout guests' stay and make them feel valued and cared for.
Maid service is impeccable and twice daily, with evening turndown. Morning brings a complimentary breakfast of strong café and Mexican sweet rolls.
Will You Like Viceroy Zihuatanejo?
Viceroy Zihuatanejo will probably be your style if you seek:
- A beach-intensive vacation on a beautiful stretch of sand
- All manner of water sports in gentle surf
- Excellent, friendly service
- A quiet, private, romantic resort
- A good gym plus yoga classes
- A destination that's relatively easy to get to from North America
Viceroy Zihuatanejo may not be for you if:
- You crave an urban beach experience like you've had Cancun, South Beach, or Waikiki
- Or you want a resort with hot nightlife on-property
- Or you like a more traditional resort, with a white-tablecloth restaurant
- You're on the lookout for a primarily family resort
- You prefer all-inclusive pricing
See what the rooms & suites are like at Viceroy Zihuatanejo >>Continue to 2 of 5 below.
02 of 05
Rooms & Suites at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
At Viceroy Zihuatanejo, Even the Standard Rooms Are Gorgeous
At 70 rooms, Viceroy Zihuatanejo qualifies as a boutique hotel. This resort is warm, friendly and relatively compact. It is not a sprawling, impersonal hotel where you can't find your room, or walk endlessly, or have to wait for a golf cart.
The resort's 35 rooms and 35 suites are done like sunny white casita cottages, with a private terrace or patio. There really isn't a bad guestroom at Viceroy Zihuatanejo. But ocean-view rooms are preferable to garden-view rooms. And suites, sporting a private plunge pool with an infinity edge, beat rooms.
- Rooms begin at 350 square feet, suites at 700 square feet
- Accommodations are individually decorated and feel homey and comfortable
- They are airy and hand-crafted, with wood or tile floors
- The décor is sunny and contemporary; Mexican accents furnish a local sense of place
- Oversized couches and lounge chairs are packed deep with pillows to sink into after your plane journey or an... exhausting day relaxing on the beach
- Rooms are air-conditioned with ceiling fans; sliding doors open to glorious views
- Bathrooms have deep soaking tubs
- From the walk-in indoor-outdoor shower, you can hear the tropical surroundings
Standard room features and tech toys include"
- Large-screen TV, DVD player, iPod docking station
- In-room safes
- Robes and slippers
- Wifi on the house, a gracious touch
- Complimentary bottled water, ditto
Specialty Suites at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
The Penthouse Suite is a one-bedroom suite with an irresistible feature: it's raised from beach level and has breathtaking views of Zihuatanejo Bay.
The marble-trimmed Presidential Suite is a rambling 1,600 square feet, with two bedrooms and lounging and entertainment spaces indoors and out.Continue to 3 of 5 below.
03 of 05
Viceroy Zihuatanejo's Terrific Dining & Drinking (& Can't-Miss Cooking Class)
Dining & Drinking at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
Viceroy Zihuatanejo's restaurants and lounges offer true Mexican flair with ambiance that's sunny by day, seductive by sunset.
La Villa, the more casual of the resort's two restaurants, is a waterfront culinary magnet. Local cooks finesse traditional Mexican recipes native to Zihuatanejo's state of Guerrero, with many seasonal specials.
La Villa's tacos with homemade tortillas are a must-try. For lunch, interesting salads (like a Cobb with fresh-caught tuna) are a perfect light repast for warm beach weather. Sopes tortilla tarts are another tasty option. They're served simply topped wth sparkling-fresh seafood like shrimp and octopus.
La Villa's attentive service and winning location enhance the pleasure of eating here. The dining room is open-air, and every table has a close-up view of the water.
La Marea (the sea) also faces the ocean, and part of its dining room is right on the sand. At night, tiki torches and... pillar candles lend the restaurant a romantic glow. This restaurant is a less casual than La Villa. The dress code is "evening resort wear."
La Marea's Mexican cuisine focuses on seafood freshly caught in Zihuatanejo Bay. The restaurant's spacious bar area is ideal for diners interested in a light entree such as ceviche. And of course, this is the place to check out the margarita menu or to order a customized flight of tequilas.
For an extra-special experience, Viceroy Zihuatanejo guests can reserve the hotel's La Cava, a dining room in the wine cellar. Here, they can feast surrounded by wine bottles from all over the world, including Mexico's rising Baja wine-growing region. And diners are sure to uncork a few vintages.
Coral Bar at Viceroy Zihuatanejo is guests' gathering place for sunset cocktails by the water.
- Coral Bar offers extensive lists of tequila and mezcal
- The bar excels with tequila and mezcal tastings. Your server asks about your tastes, then brings you several intriguing choices, and tells you about where they were distilled
- Coral Bar also offers modern house cocktails made with green herbs like basil or mint. They're as refreshing as they sound
Of course, the resort features a swim-up pool bar, too.
Room Service at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
If you're in the mood to stay in and dine on your terrace or patio, Viceroy Zihuatanejo offers a full room service menu ultil 11pm.
Breakfast at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
Guests can enjoy a full breakfast in La Marea, either a la carte or a sparkling buffet. If they prefer a lighter morning meal, the hotel delivers morning coffee with croissants to guest rooms, on the house.
Cooking Classes at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
Viceroy Zihuatanejo's cooking class is a highlight of many guests' stays. This special event can be experienced as a couple or as a group.
- The class begins with an expedition with the chef to Ixtapa's markets to gather your cooking ingredients (and some special requests)
- Back at the resort, the interactive class takes place right on the beach, at its grill station
- The class's menu will include Mexican classics with a Zihuatanejo twist: ceviche, pico de gallo, guacamole
- The main course is usually seafood you just bought, like spiny lobster, tuna, red snapper
- When the meal's ready, you take photos. Then you relish your work (and a margarita or two) right on the beach
By the spa, by the spa, by the beautiful spa at Viceroy Zihuatanejo >>Continue to 4 of 5 below.
04 of 05
Spa, Beach, Pools, Water Sports, Tennis, & More at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
The Spa at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
The Spa at Viceroy Zihuatanejo is small and private-feeling. It never lets you forget you're on one of Mexico's loveliest, most natural beaches. But it offers a wide range of globally-inspired treatments.
- Patrons tend to arrive early to bask in the cozy spa lounge, with downy seating and freely offered hibiscus tea and cucumber water
- Aestheticians are attuned to clients' tastes, making spa treatments feel intensely one on-one
- Six treatment rooms are airy, quiet, and air-conditioned to your liking
- Services are customized, whether facials, massages, or body treatments like exfoliation scrubs
- The spa's ultra-relaxing signature is lava shell massage, a blend of hot stone massage and conventional Swedish massage
- Natural, local ingredients worked into treatments include skin-loving kelp, algae, and sea salt
Recreation at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
While relaxing is considered the raison d'etre of Viceroy Zihuatanejo, active-minded guests have plenty of... options for keeping busy. The property's Activity Concierge is adept at arranging whatever a guest wants to do, from deep-sea fishing charters to personal shopping to Ixtapa jaunts.
On-property things to do:
- The resort is a yoga retreat. Group classes are frequent, including a daily sunrise and sunset ritual. Private yoga instruction is available
- Zihuatanejo Bay hosts water sports such as kayaking, paddleboarding, windsurfing, snorkeling
- More adventurous pursuits include surfing, scuba, jetskiing, and parasailing
- The bay water itself is gentle and safe for swimming, not a given on Mexico's Pacific beaches
- The resort has three pools, including one adults-only infinity pool overlooking the bay
- The palapa-roofed fitness center is air-conditioned, open 24 hours, and free to guests
- The resort has two tennis courts with an on-site tennis pro
Playa La Ropa, the Beach at Viceroy Zihuatanejo
No question: Viceroy Zihuatanejo sits on a fantasy beach. This wide stretch of sugary sand:
- Offers ample loungers, daybeds, palapa umbrellas
- A Beach Concierge caters to you with towels, icy water, snacks, and drinks
- The surf is warm and caressing; no killer "Mexican pipeline" waves here
- Beach walking and running are popular on Playa La Ropa's powder-soft sand
Get in touch with Viceroy Zihuatanejo >>Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Connect with Viceroy Zihuatanejo
How to Find Out More about Viceroy Zihuatanejo & Start Planning a Visit
- Viceroy Zihuatanejo website
- On Facebook
- On Twitter (@ViceroyZih)
- By phone from North America: 866.905.9560
- By email
- Nikki's complete luxury travel guide to Zihuatanejo
- Viceroy Zihuatanejo
Playa la Ropa S/N
Zihuatanejo, Guerrero 40880
- Read Luxury Travel's description of...
- the rising Viceroy Hotels and Resorts brand
- the fashionable Viceroy Santa Monica in L.A.
- the magical Viceroy Riviera Maya in Mexico
- the cool Viceroy New York!
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary stay for the purpose of describing the hotel. For more info, see our site's Ethics Policy.