Spring Blossoms Come Early to Vancouver
Vancouver's weather in March continues to warm up - and is especially mild compared to the rest of Canada.
Spring blossoms are in bloom and cherry blossom festivals are underway. March, like so many months in Vancouver, has plenty of precipitation (more than half the days will see some rain), so be sure to dress for the weather.
- March average high: 10ºC / 50ºF
- March average low: 3ºC / 37ºF
- March record low: -9ºC / 16ºF
- March record high: 20ºC / 68ºF
Be prepared for rain on any given day in Vancouver in March, but don't let the rain discourage you - there's plenty to do in Vancouver on a rainy day.
What to Pack
- Warm, waterproof clothing; sweaters, hoodies, light jackets
- T-shirts, shorts, light, sun-protective clothing
- Closed-toe shoes; rain boots, sandals
- Some of the best hotel rates and package specials all year are in January to March.
- Spring ski season at Whistler / Blackcomb is underway.
- Despite March rain, there's plenty of things to do in Vancouver on a rainy day.
- Head to Vancouver Island for storm watching. March is probably the best month for this.
What's Not So Great about Vancouver in March
- Rain. This goes for almost any month in Vancouver, except perhaps July, which has the fewest days of rain. Precipitation in Vancouver, much like in San Francisco, for example, is just a reality.
- Whale watching, one of the most popular things to do in Vancouver and on Canada's west coast is generally unavailable from November to March.
Good to Know about Vancouver in March
During March Break, when public school students are on holiday, Vancouver attractions and ski resorts are busier than usual.
Vancouver in March Highlights:
- Festival du Bois, Celebration of Canadian folk, Celtic and world music, dance and culture, with a French twist.
- Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival, in the tradition of the Japanese, people gather to celebrate the arrival of spring under cherry blossoms.