While early spring in Montreal, Toronto, and most parts of Canada remains frigid, Vancouver's weather in March continues to warm up each day, and is especially mild compared to the rest of the country.
You will find spring blossoms in bloom, and cherry blossom festivals beginning to take place. This month, like so many other in Vancouver has plenty of precipitation. You should be prepared for a storm on any given day, but don't let it discourage you.
There's plenty to do in Vancouver in March, even on the rainiest days.
Average Weather Temperatures in Vancouver in March
The temperatures in March are typically mild, usually staying between 40ºF and 50ºF, and more than half the days this month will see some rainfall.
- March average high: 10ºC/50ºF
- March average low: 3ºC/37ºF
- March record low: -9ºC/16ºF
- March record high: 20ºC/68ºF
What to Wear in Vancouver in March
Leave the winter wear at home, and pack warm, waterproof clothing instead. Sweaters, sweatshirts, and light jackets are a good bet, and because of the rain, you will need rain boots, a raincoat, and an umbrella.
You will also want to bring t-shirts, shorts, a hat, and light, sun-protective clothing for warmer days, and at least one pair of closed-toe shoes and sandals.
The Pros of Visiting Vancouver in March
- Some of the best hotel rates and package specials all year are in January to March.
- Spring ski season at Whistler/Blackcomb is underway.
- Despite the rain, there's plenty of things to do in Vancouver on a rainy day.
- Head to Vancouver Island for storm watching. March is probably the best month for this.
The Cons of Visiting Vancouver in March
- Rain. This goes for almost any month in Vancouver, except perhaps July, which has the fewest days of rain. Precipitation in Vancouver, much like in San Francisco, for example, is just a reality, and shouldn't deter you from visiting in March or any other month.
- You will most likely miss out on whale watching. One of the most popular things to do in Vancouver on Canada's west coast, whale watching is generally unavailable from the months of November through March.
- During March break, when all local public school students are on holiday, Vancouver's most popular attractions and ski resorts are busier than usual.
Popular Events in Vancouver in March
- Festival du Bois is a celebration of Canadian folk, Celtic, and world music, dancing, and culture, with a French twist. This event is also the largest and most attended Francophone festival on the west coast of Canada.
- For a welcome splash of springtime pink, the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival is a must in the month of March. In the tradition of Japanese culture, where the festivals began, people gather to celebrate the arrival of spring under the blooming cherry blossoms. Keep in mind that the dates for this festival vary each year, sometimes taking place in April, depending on the weather.
- The Vancouver Jewish Performing Arts' Chutzpah Festival features theater, music, and dance performances over the course of a month.
Sample over 150 wines at the Vancouver International Wine Festival featuring pours from over a dozen different countries