Valentine's Day — the special day when cupid shoots us with his bow and arrow, our thoughts turn to love, and we remember our significant others with heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, beautiful flowers and cards... lots and lots of cards.
Many of us seek that perfect activity to mark the occasion as well — dining out is probably the most popular. Of course, anyone will tell you that you get extra points for being creative, so for the romance-challenged here are a few suggestions:
- Take a romantic stroll on the beach and enjoy a sunset.
- Enjoy one of Florida's spectacular sunset celebrations.
- Stroll the beautiful gardens and listen to the Carillon recital while enjoying a picnic lunch for a peaceful and romantic getaway at historic Bok Tower Gardens.
- You definitely can't go wrong with any of these top 5 romantic Florida getaways.
- Stroll downtown Lakeland's Lake Mirror Park and the beautiful Hollis Garden.
- Find a world of romance at Disney World, where you can stay at a romantic resort and enjoy a romantic carriage ride; or, enjoy one of these four romantic things to do in Disney World on Valentine's Day.
- Washington Oaks Gardens State Park in Northeast Florida offers a peaceful respite as you meander along its wooded trails and through the formal gardens.
- These 10 bed and breakfast getaways offer romance-inspired accommodations and nearby activities that will provide an overall satisfyingly romantic experience.
- Lakeridge Winery offers complimentary wine tastings and tours. While you'll be among others for the tasting, it would be fun to pick out a bottle of wine together to enjoy later in the evening.
- For the truly adventurous, climb aboard The Orlando Eye for a birds-eye view of Orlando. Purchase the VIP Experience and enjoy a glass of champagne during your adventure.
- Why not take a page out of the past with these 5 retro vacation and getaway ideas.
- Whatever your style of accommodations — intimate hideaways, small historic inns, grand old hotels or sprawling resorts — we all know that love is in the amenities, whether it is a couples spa treatment, gourmet-style dining, or moonlit carriage rides... these ideas rock!
- Take a Valentine's Day dinner cruise in Coconut Grove. The evening cruise includes champagne and hors d'oeuvres upon boarding and a buffet dinner. A DJ will be on hand to keep the party going with dancing on the upper deck.
- Or, if you're on the other coast, specifically in Tampa, Yacht StarShip Cruise Dining Cruises have Valentine's weekend dinner cruises. Pick any day from Thursday, February 12 through Saturday, February 14. The reasonably-priced dinner cruises include a three-course meal, private table, DJ and dancing on the lounge deck. Oh, let's not forget the unforgettable views of Tampa Bay!
- Visiting Naples? About.com's Romantic Travel Expert, Susan Breslow Sardone, recommends 10 getaway ideas for romantic couples.
- If you're determined to give chocolates, pick up a sweet treat in Florida while visiting any of these places. It is sure to satisfy his or her sweet tooth!
And, if you're one of the lucky ones to give or get a ring on Valentine's Day, it's not too early to begin planning your wedding and honeymoon. Florida offers perfect fairy tale wedding destinations and romantic honeymoon destinations too!