Valencia is Spain's third largest city, with an urban sprawl containing a population of over 800,000. However, the popular city center feels a lot quieter than what you would expect for a city if this size and there aren't numerous bus and train stations that Madrid and Barcelona have. Still, it's worth learning what's where to make your arrival simpler.
Buses from Valencia Airport
If your final destination is not Valencia, you may not need to come into the city to catch your bus.
The metro from Valencia airport to the city center starts at around 5:30 am, with the last train just before midnight.
Reaching Valencia got a lot easier when the high-speed AVE train was rolled out to Valencia, with the popular Madrid to Valencia route taking just 90 minutes (the AVE hasn't yet connected Barcelona to Valencia yet, unfortunately). Anyhow, the train will usually be your quickest way to the city and though the AVE and normal trains come in at different stations, they're a short walk apart.
Exploring the Region
Like most large cities in Spain, Valencia has a Cercanias local train service, which is good for getting to some of the smaller towns close to the city, including Buñol (for the Tomatina Tomato Fight), Requena and Sagunt.
Estación del Norte
The Estacion del Norte (Estacio del Nord in Valencian, the local language) is the main train in Valencia and is found next to the bullring.
- Where is it? Right in the city center at Calle Xativa 24.
- For Travel to: slow trains to Barcelona, Cuenca, and Madrid, as well as Albacete, Tortosa, and Cartagena. This station serves both long distance and regional trains. Also serves the C-1, C-2, C-5 and C-6 lines on the Cercanias, or commuter trains.
Valencia Joaquin Sorolla High-Speed Train Station
The high-speed AVE train comes into Valencia here, not far from the Estacion del Norte station (it's about 800m away).
- Where is it? San Vicente Martir 171.
- For Travel to: Madrid, Barcelona, Cuenca and some Alicante trains.
Valencia Bus Station
The bus is usually cheaper, sometimes much cheaper, than taking the train. But the station is not as convenient to get to.
- Where is it? About 2km outside of the city center on Avenida Menéndez Pidal,13
- Since this is the main bus station, you can get to the most popular national destinations and many international ones as well.