May can be a great time to visit Universal Orlando—weekdays are typically less crowded as school is still in session and summer's intense temperatures haven't yet arrived. Plan your visit with the guide and tips below. Be sure to check Universal Orlando's website for the most up-to-date information on events, openings, and closures.
Events at Universal Orlando in May
Middle-schoolers have a special time in the theme parks this month, as Universal Orlando hosts Gradventures, parties exclusively for graduating middle-schoolers held two or three times during May. Although the official start time of this special event is 7 p.m., the celebrating starts as early as 4 p.m. in the afternoon and continues until midnight. The 2020 event has been canceled, but 2021 events will be held May 7, 14, and 21, 2021.
Velvet Sessions music parties continue this month at the Hard Rock Hotel for music lovers over 21, although 2020 events have been postponed. Join the fun for an early cocktail party, or just drop in for the music; either way, you'll enjoy spending time listening to some of your favorite acts perform in person.
Weather at Universal Orlando in May
Expect hot summer days and warm, balmy evenings when you visit Universal Orlando in May. The heat has arrived, but won't be in full force until summer, so you can still explore Universal in relative comfort.
Be sure to pack that bathing suit because the weather will be perfect for taking a dip in the pool, even into the evening.
Crowd Levels at Universal Orlando in May
May is an excellent time of year to visit Universal Orlando. The full heat of summer hasn't arrived yet, and neither have the summer crowds, so it will be easy to ride some of your favorite attractions without waiting in long lines. The only exception is the end of the month when Memorial Day kicks off the summer vacation season.
Tips for Visiting
- Universal Orlando will close early some evenings for Gradventures; if you aren't an eighth-grade graduate from a participating middle school, you'll need to find something else to do on Gradventure nights.
- Use Universal's "Express Access Pass" to speed through lines on some of the most popular attractions in both theme parks.
- Enjoy fun water rides like the Jurassic Park River Adventure to beat the Florida heat and cool off during the hottest time of the day.
- Visit busy new attractions like the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in May, you'll be able to see more of this area with less waiting.
Cautions and Warnings
- Be sure to pack (and use) sunscreen to avoid getting sunburned, and don't forget to re-apply sunscreen throughout the day for continuous protection.
- Though May is generally less crowded than other times of the year at Universal Orlando, the weekends will bring in larger crowds as locals visit the parks, particularly during Memorial Day weekend.
- Higher peak season rates may apply when booking a room at Universal Orlando's hotels during the Memorial Day weekend.
- While Universal's "Front of the Line" program always comes in handy, you probably don't need to pay extra for the Universal Express Pass when you visit in May.