- Mardi Gras, one of the biggest parties of the year at Universal Orlando, is in full swing this month. Expect to sample a taste of New Orleans as you watch a dazzling array of parades, shows and musical events. Sample authentic Cajun cuisine and join in the party on select nights this month. Mardi Gras is free with your park admission, so you'll be able to join the party without purchasing an extra ticket.
- If you're over 21, mark your calendar for "Fat Tuesday" at Universal's CityWalk. This once a year celebration features drink and food specials, access to Pat O' Brien's, stilt walkers and other performers.
- The clubs at CityWalk will be bustling with activity mid month as Spring Break visitors arrive. Expect plenty of crowds and be prepared to party at your favorite night spot each evening during Spring Break week.
- Visit the 3 Broomsticks at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and raise a glass of Butter Beer to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day on the 17th of this month.
Expect the weather in Orlando to be warm, but not overly hot just yet. Pack a jacket for chilly evenings, but you may find you never need to remove it from your suitcase. Spend some time exploring the "outside" portions of Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure, but pass on watery rides like Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls in the morning and early evening or you'll end up too chilled to enjoy the ride.
March is a great time to visit the parks and attractions at Universal Orlando, since crowd levels will be low during most of the month. If your visit falls during Spring Break, however, you should expect the parks to be more crowded, particularly new areas like the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
Celebrations for St. Patrick's Day and Fat Tuesday will bring more crowds to the Universal CityWalk club, so be prepared if you are visiting on these March holidays.
- Use Universal's "Front of the Line" pass to speed by any lines you encounter this month — this option is particularly useful when the parks are crowded.
- Pack sunblock even if the temperature is moderate. You can still get burned, even if the day is not a hot one.
- Visit busy attractions like The Amazing Adventures of Spider Man and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (housed in Hogwarts) first thing in the morning to avoid long lines during Spring Break.
Warnings and Cautions:
- If you are not attending the Mardi Gras festivities, avoid the parade route, it will be very crowded.
- If you are traveling to Orlando by car, double check the schedule for Daytona's Bike Week festivities, held in the early part of the month. Bike Week will cause some travel delays if you need to pass through the Daytona area.
Edited by Dawn Henthorn, Florida Travel Expert since 2000