If you're planning to visit Universal Orlando in February, you can expect some rollicking Mardi Gras fun, great weather, and lower crowd levels at the theme park resort. With special holidays like Valentine's Day and the added bonus of kids being in school for most of the season, February is an deal time to visit.
Although the lower crowd levels of the winter months of January, February, and March may seem like the biggest draw, the annual Mardi Gras celebrations on select evenings in February and March are definitely worth the visit. Still, you'll want to be sure to pack for the "winter" weather in Florida. It sometimes gets cold in the evenings and early morning so you'll want to bring a light jacket.
Universal Orlando Weather in February
There's a reason vacationers travel to Florida in the winter—the weather. Expect to enjoy comfortable temperatures during the day and evening, and perhaps a chilly night or two, during your February getaway.
- Average high temperature: 74 degrees Fahrenheit (23 degrees Celsius)
- Average low temperature: 52 degrees Fahrenheit (11 degrees Celsius)
Orlando gets an average of 2.47 inches of rain, usually spread out over seven days in February. While there may be thunderstorms, February will have much lower humidity than the summer months.
What to Pack
Expect to enjoy comfortable temperatures during the day and evening, and pack a light jacket (waterproof, is ideal), just in case. Walking shoes or walking sandals for your time at Universal Orlando are necessities, and hats and sunscreen will protect against sun damage.
If you dress in light layers, a day pack will come in handy to hold your clothing and water bottle during the warmer afternoons. Universal Orlando has plenty of photo ops, and you may want to take tons of pictures to document your vacation, so a portable battery pack for your phone will come in handy. If you are traveling with children, little snacks in plastic bags are ideal; adults can get their energy restored with breakfast or snack bars so consider packing them.
For women, a cross-body purse is ideal to keep your hands free; make sure it's large enough to hold smaller items, maps, and phone.
Florida natives typically steer clear of the water in February, but if you are a hardy visitor from a colder climate, you may want to enjoy Florida's relative warmth and enjoy the pool at your hotel. Or you may want to check out Universal's wonderful water park, Volcano Bay, which remains open, weather permitting, throughout February. If that sounds like you, be sure to bring along a bathing suit (or two).
February Events at Universal Orlando
- The biggest event of the spring season, Mardi Gras, kicks off at Universal Studios in February. Celebrate with extravagant parades, live concerts and music, high energy street performers, authentic Cajun cuisine, and beads for everyone at this over-the-top street party, held on select evenings in February and March at Universal Studios Florida. Be sure to check out Universal Orlando's schedule for concert listings and show times.
- Hard Rock Hotel's Velvet Sessions: You can also check out the monthly cocktail party and live concert held the last Thursday of the month. Velvet Sessions parties cost an additional fee, and you must be 21 to attend. Be sure to visit the Hard Rock website for tickets to and information on concerts scheduled for February.
February Travel Tips
- February is among the least busy times of the year to visit the resort, so you should take advantage of the low crowd levels this month and enjoy some of the resort’s top attractions like The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man with minimal waiting in line. You might even be able to hop on board the incredible attraction, Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Coaster without too long of a wait. (And by “too long of a wait,” we mean the line might still be 90 minutes.) Since it opened in 2019, the high-demand, slow-loading ride has generated huge lines.
- You might not need to splurge on a front of the line pass in February as lines should be fairly reasonable at both Islands of Adventure and Universal Orlando. (Note that the pass does not work for the Hagrid’s coaster attraction.) But you would probably still want to purchase the multi-park ticket so that you could ride the popular Hogwarts' Express between the two theme parks. The lines for the railway attraction that links Hogsmeade Station in Islands of Adventure to King's Cross station in the London area of Universal Studios should be less this time of year as well.
- For an extra-special time, book a romantic meal at one of Universal’s best table-service restaurants.
- While the parks won't be busy, special events like Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras will draw extra crowds, so be prepared for more of a wait on Mardi Gras party nights. Additionally, some areas may be closed for refurbishment or updating during your off-season visit, so plan accordingly.
- To avoid confusion and make sure you don't miss anything, you can grab a park map as soon as you enter Universal Orlando, or download the Official Universal Orlando Resort App.