If you're planning to visit Universal Orlando in February, you can expect a variety of fun events, great weather, and lower crowd levels at this exciting adventure park in Florida. With special holidays like Valentine's Day and the added bonus of kids being in school for most of the season, February is ideal for visiting Universal Orlando Resort.
Although the lower crowd levels of the winter months of January, February, and March may seem like the biggest draw, the annual Mardi Gras celebrations on select evenings in February, March, and April are definitely worth the visit. Still, you'll want to be sure to pack for the "winter" weather in Florida—it sometimes gets cold in the evenings, at night, and in the early morning so you'll want to bring a light jacket just in case you want to do some late-night or early-morning exploring.
Universal Orlando Weather in February
There's a reason vacationers travel to Florida in the winter—the weather. Expect to enjoy comfortable temperatures during the day and evening, and perhaps a chilly night or two, during your February getaway.
- Average high: 74 degrees Fahrenheit (23 degrees Celsius)
- Average low: 52 degrees Fahrenheit (11 degrees Celsius)
Orlando gets an average of 2.47 inches of rain, usually spread out over seven days in February. While there may be thunderstorms, February will have much lower humidity than the summer months.
What to Pack
Expect to enjoy comfortable temperatures during the day and evening, and pack a light jacket (waterproof, is ideal), just in case. Walking shoes or walking sandals for your time at Universal Orlando are necessities, and hats and sunscreen will protect against sun damage.
If you dress in light layers, a day pack will come in handy to hold your clothing and water bottle during the warmer afternoons. Universal Orlando has plenty of photo ops, and you may want to take tons of pictures to document your vacation, so a portable battery pack for your phone will come in handy. If you are traveling with children, little snacks in plastic bags are ideal; adults can get their energy restored with breakfast or snack bars so pack in a box of those.
For women, a cross-body purse is ideal to keep your hands free; make sure it's large enough to hold smaller items, maps, and phone.
February Events at Universal Orlando
The biggest event of the spring season kicks off at Universal Studios in February—Mardi Gras. Celebrate with extravagant parades, live concerts and music, high energy street performers, authentic Cajun cuisine, and beads for everyone at this over-the-top street party, held on select evenings in February, March, and April at Universal Studios.
- Mardi Gras: Celebrations kick off in February and include concert performances by a diverse group of musicians, depending on when you visit the park. Be sure to check out Universal Orlando's schedule for concert listings and show times. Mardi Gras runs usually through the first week of April.
- Hard Rock Hotel's Velvet Sessions: You can also check out the monthly cocktail party and live concert held the last Thursday of the month. Velvet Sessions parties cost an additional fee, and you must be 21 to attend, but be sure to visit the Hard Rock website for tickets to and information on concerts scheduled for February.
February Travel Tips
- Expect lower than normal crowd levels when you visit in February—use the front of the line pass option if you need to, but plan on enjoying most of your favorites without a huge wait.
- For an extra-special time, book a romantic meal at Mythos and celebrate Valentine's Day with an unforgettable meal in an unforgettable location or take advantage of the lower crowd levels and explore the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at your leisure. This is one of the best times of year for thrill-seekers to visit Universal Studios—you'll be able to pack in plenty of rides each day.
- While the parks won't be busy, special events like Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras will draw extra crowds, so be prepared for more of a wait on Mardi Gras party nights. Additionally, some areas may be closed for refurbishment or updating during your off-season visit, so plan accordingly.
- To avoid confusion and make sure you don't miss anything, you can grab a park map as soon as you enter Universal Orlando, or download the Official Universal Orlando Resort App.