Temperatures aren't as scorching as they are during the summer months, and summertime crowds haven't yet descended upon the park. While spring break and Easter draw many vacationers to the theme parks and the CityWalk dining, shopping, and entertainment complex, the rest of the month has have average crowd levels. If you plan to visit during spring break, be prepared to wait in line for busy attractions like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but otherwise, you'll find April to be a lovely time of year to visit.
Universal Orlando Weather in April
Spring arrives at Universal Orlando! Expect to see flowers in full bloom, sunny days, and comfortable nights. April is a great time to experience rides with outdoor queue areas or to wander through the parks and enjoy the atmosphere before the heat becomes oppressive.
- Average high: 83 degrees Fahrenheit (28 degrees Celsius)
- Average low: 63 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees Celsius)
April is one of Orlando's least-humid months, but it's still extremely sunny. There are around 10 hours of sunshine each day, leaving you plenty of time to enjoy the park during daylight. April is also a drier month for Orlando, with the city receiving an average of 2.4 inches of rain spread throughout the month.
What to Pack
Because the Florida sun can be incredibly harsh, the first item on any packing list should be sunscreen. A bad sunburn could completely derail your Universal Orlando vacation. You'll also want to pack lightweight, easily-layered clothing items. Shorts, T-shirts, and comfortable walking shoes are appropriate for most days spent at the park. Pack a nicer dress or pants and a blouse for slightly dressier dinners. Don’t forget to pack a bathing suit to enjoy the pool at your hotel. Or you may want to check out Universal's wonderful water park, Volcano Bay.
A few less-common items that Universal Orlando visitors sometimes forget include:
- A foldable, lightweight backpack for carrying your things throughout the park
- A packable rain jacket, in case of a surprise afternoon shower
- Light sweaters , jackets, or sweatshirts for the occasional chilly evening
April Events at Universal Orlando
On top of the rides and thrills available year-round, April offers some unique experiences that make for a great vacation.
- Mardi Gras: One of the biggest parties of the year continues into April. The festivities include an extravagant parade, street parties, live music, authentic Cajun cuisine, and lots of beads. Check Universal Orlando's schedule for concert listings and show times.
- Grad Bash party: Universal Orlando opens both of its theme parks to graduating seniors as part of the annual celebration. Grad Bash features plenty of age-appropriate fun, great ride access, live music, dance parties, and other fun. Grad Bash is exclusively for high school seniors and chaperones.
April Travel Tips
- The theme parks at Universal Orlando will close early some evenings for Grad Bash; if you aren't a graduating senior from a participating school, you'll need to find something else to do on Grad Bash nights.
- During Easter and spring break, you may want to take advantage of Universal's front of the line pass to eliminate some of the time you'll spend waiting in line for the resort’s top attractions like The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.
- Consider staying at a Universal Orlando on-site hotel for quicker access to the theme parks, especially during peak spring break periods. There are some great reasons to stay at a Universal Orlando hotel, including complimentary line-skipping Express passes, early entry to the parks, and more.
- Enjoy wet or watery rides like Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges in the middle of the day to cool off. While the days are warming up, some riders will still be hesitant to get doused, so you'll be able to speed through the lines.
- If you are not attending the Mardi Gras party, avoid the food areas and parade route; they will be very crowded.
- To avoid confusion and make sure you don't miss anything, you can grab a park map as soon as you enter the parks. Or download the Official Universal Orlando Resort App.