01 of 11
Concierges Offer Unique Travel Experiences
When you think of a hotel concierge, quick dinner reservations and easy directions probably come to mind. However, these days hotels across the United States are competing for business and are offering some of the most exclusive experiences thinkable for guests. Want to know the best time and place to go shell hunting at the beach; set out on snowshoes to stargaze with a poet as your guide; or take a tour of the graffiti art in Manhattan’s Lower East Side? These hotel concierge teams have got you covered with the following 10 must-try experiences for travelers across America.Continue to 2 of 11 below.
02 of 11
The Concierge Service: Lock Your Love
Lock your love like Parisians once did on the Pont des Arts Bridge in Paris. Guests are invited to “lock their love” to a fence outside of the Lost Pines Resort and lose the key, celebrating their commitment to one another.
Continue to 3 of 11 below.
- Where: Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa in Lost Pines, TX
- Average Room Rate: $195 per night
- Insider Tip: “In addition to the love and support our guests are showing for one another through this ritual, they’re also extending love and support to our local community, because a portion of proceeds from every love lock that’s purchased at the spa is donated to a local Family Crisis Center,” said Heidi Smith, director of Spa Django.
03 of 11
The Concierge Service: Surf Lessons
Have a 12-hour layover and want to get outside? The Westin Los Angeles has made staying at an airport hotel fun and easy by offering a new surf concierge program and a day room rate. Experience surf lessons at El Porto in Manhattan Beach, one of Southern California’s most iconic surf beaches and only a short two-mile drive from the hotel.
• Where: The Westin Los Angeles International Airport in Los Angeles, CA
• Average Room Rate: $200 per night
• Insider Tip: “My piece of advice is to always to come to the lesson with a positive outlook and a fearless attitude,” says Westin LAX Surf Concierge, Jenny Palomo.Continue to 4 of 11 below.
04 of 11
The Concierge Service: Certified Spook Master
Are you a scare seeker? The Certified Spook Master Concierge at the Hilton New Orleans can help, whether you want to hunt ghosts on a Ghost Adventures Tour or scream the night away at The Mortuary Haunted House. Opt stay in and enjoy a Candy Cane Martini at the Public Belt Bar and check out a haunted ghost story from the concierge.
• Where: Hilton New Orleans Riverside in New Orleans, LA
• Average Room Rate: $147 per night
• Insider Tip: “At the core of this city lies its spirits and haunted legends. I encourage every guest to embrace the spooky because you never know what supernatural sights or feelings you might experience when you put away the gadgets and look for the unknown,” shares Russell Murphy, Certified Spook Master.Continue to 5 of 11 below.
05 of 11
The Concierge Service: Snowshoe Stargazing Adventure
Take advantage of Lake Tahoe's dark skies with a snowshoe tour through a serene forest while observing the starry sky above with star guide and poet Tony Berendsen. At the end of your mountain adventure, watch a laser tour of the constellations and poetry reading on the back terrace of The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe.
• Where: The Ritz Carlton in Lake Tahoe, CA
• Average Room Rate: $599 per night
• Insider Tip: “The pastry team can prepare a customized s’mores kit with house-made marshmallows to enjoy at the resort’s fire pit upon returning from the adventure,” adds Matt Robertson, Rooms Supervisor.Continue to 6 of 11 below.
06 of 11
The Concierge Service: Mountain Bike Fitting
For a truly immersive mountain biking experience, the concierge at Shore Lodge in McCall, Idaho fits their guests with state-of-the-art Trek Fuel EX 6 bikes before sending them off on a guided tour of Payette backcountry. Bike trails range in difficulty from advanced beginner (3000-foot descent through glacier carved walls of Lick Creek Canyon to the base of the South Salmon River) to advanced (20-mile trail trek which can include a stop at the Burgdorf Hotsprings).
Continue to 7 of 11 below.
- Where: Shore Lodge in McCall, ID
- Average Room Rate: $260
- Insider Tip: “Book your reservation three to four weeks in advance to ensure your spot and be sure to pack layers; summit temperatures can run much cooler than they do in town,” says Concierge Melissa Little.
07 of 11
The Concierge Service: Fall Foilage Boat Tour
If you’re lucky enough to be in Stowe, Vermont this autumn, view the fall foliage from a unique perspective: a guided boat tour on the scenic Waterbury Reservoir. The reflection of the colors on the water remain indescribable as you learn more about the intricacies of wildlife and nature in the heart of Vermont on your very own guided tour.
Continue to 8 of 11 below.
- Where: Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, Stowe VT
- Average Room Rate: $189 per night
- Insider Tip: The leaves peak in October, making it a great month to visit, says concierge Susi Daley.
08 of 11
The Concierge Service: Shell Hunting
South Seas Island Resort in Captiva Island, Florida recently introduced a shell concierge to assist guests with shell hunting. Shellers can learn about basic bivalve and gastropod biology, find out why so many seashells wash up on the resort’s shoreline, and even learn secrets on where to look for the most coveted shells.
• Where: South Seas Island Resort, Captiva Island, FL
• Average Room Rate: $189 per night
• Insider Tip: “Shelling on Captiva is best during low tide, when the largest number of shells are exposed for easy finding,” says Brooke Linn, Shelling Concierge.Continue to 9 of 11 below.
09 of 11
The Concierge Service: Pink Taxi Transport
The Langham Boston offers guests use of the Pink Taxi, a London-style taxi that has been specially imported from Great Britain for the convenience and privileged use of our guests. The Pink Taxi provides guests with a luxurious option to travel within a two-mile radius outside the hotel through the scenic streets of Boston.
Continue to 10 of 11 below.
- Where: The Langham, Boston, MA
- Average Room Rate: $279 per night
- Insider Tip: “Take the Pink Taxi to one of Boston’s most popular culinary destinations, the North End, to dine in one of the many famous Italian restaurants in the neighborhood. Whether you are looking for a romantic evening or a family celebration, the concierge team can recommend the right restaurant, make a reservation, and have the Pink Taxi bring you there in style,” says Jeanne Lynch, member of the Concierge Team.
10 of 11
The Concierge Service: Graffiti Art
The Graffiti Concierge at Hotel Indigo Lower East Side is an expert when it comes to directing guests to the neighborhood’s famous street art locations. Guests who are eager to explore like a local can meet with the on-site graffiti concierge to learn where to go to see iconic works of art and fresh additions to the ever-changing walls that serve as a canvas to artists.
• Where: Hotel Indigo Lower East Side in Manhattan, NY
• Average Room Rate: $249 per night
• Insider Tip: “The Lower East Side art scene has changed a lot since the 1980’s. There are still famous artists with pieces in the area that guests must check out for themselves such as Space Invader’s tile mosaic in front of our hotel,” explains Graffiti Concierge Christian Ribeiro.Continue to 11 of 11 below.
11 of 11
The Concierge Service: Customized Illustrations
If you’re visiting the Thompson Chicago to celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary, local artist and team member Gina Geraci can create an illustration for your special day. Recently, Gina created a Tooth Fairy “receipt” for a young guest who lost a tooth on property.
• Where: Thompson Chicago Hotel in Chicago, IL
• Average Room Rate: $289 per night
• Insider Tip: General Manager Steve Shern explains, “One of the easiest ways to connect with guests is during the check-in process. If we know you’re in town for a special occasion, we look for ways to commemorate that event.”