01 of 06
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Scandinavia
Scandinavia is the home to many UNESCO World Heritage sites. Coming to Scandinavia, you will find that this region has it all, offering many cultural and natural World Heritage sites.
The UNESCO sites are a piece of living history and belong to the whole world. Recognizing that, the UNESCO sites often offer free admission, and at others, the admission is cheap, great for traveling on a budget.
Scandinavia's World Heritage sites make for a great attraction and if you're near one during your travels in Scandinavia, make sure to pay them a visit.Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
UNESCO Sites in Denmark
Cultural UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Denmark
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Jelling Mounds, Runic Stones, and Church, which are 10th-century burial mounds found near Vejle on Jutland.
- Roskilde Cathedral, a royal church built in the 12th century for the city of Roskilde.
- Kronborg Castle, famous for being the setting for "Hamlet", located near Helsingor.
- Ilulissat Icefjord, the glacier that moves 19 meters a day, on the west coast of Greenland.
03 of 06
UNESCO Sites in Norway
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- Bryggen (wharf in English, locally also known as Tyskebryggen), the historic 18th-century wharf in Bergen, Norway.
- Urnes Stave Church, a 12th-century church made from wood, found near Lustrafjorden in southern Norway. One of the oldest Scandinavian churches in existence today, this church dates back to the Viking Age.
- Røros Mining Town in central Norway.
- Rock Art of Alta, prehistoric paintings found far north, in Finnmark county of Norway.
- Vegaøyan / Vega Archipelago, a historic fishing region on the west coast of central Norway.
- The Struve Geodetic Arc, with its starting point in Hammerfest, Norway.
- The Geirangerfjord (photo) and Nærøyfjord, the most beautiful fjords today, are located in western Norway between Bergen and Trondheim.
04 of 06
UNESCO Sites in Sweden
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- The Royal Domain of Drottningholm (photo), a royal residence in Stockholm.
- Birka and Hovgården on historical islands near Stockholm.
- Engelsberg Ironworks, a historic site dating back to the 17th century, located near Stockholm.
- Rock Carvings in Tanum, from the Bronze Age. 130 km north of Goteborg.
- Skogskyrkogården is a beautiful cemetery in modern landscaping design, found in Stockholm.
- Hanseatic Town of Visby on the island Gotland.
- The church village in Gammelstad, Luleå.
- The naval port of Karlskrona, located in south-eastern Sweden.
- The agricultural landscape of Southern Öland.
- The mining area of Great Copper Mountain, in Falun.
- Varberg Radio Station dates back to the early 1900s, located 70 km south of Goteborg.
- Part of the Struve Geodetic Arc.
- The Laponian Area, home to the Lapp people.
- High Coast, the place in eastern Sweden (on the Gulf of Bothnia) where land keeps rising out of the sea.
05 of 06
UNESCO Sites in Finland
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- The Fortress of Suomenlinna (photo), an 18th-century royal residence in Helsinki.
- Old Rauma, one of the oldest harbors in Finland, located about an hour north of Turku.
- Petäjävesi Old Church with its unique architecture, in central Finland.
- Verla Groundwood and Board Mill is a historic industrial settlement east of Helsinki.
- The Bronze Age Burial Site of Sammallahdenmäki, dating back to the Bronze Age, located north of Turku.
- Part of the Struve Geodetic Arc.
- The Kvarken Archipelago, over 5,000 idyllic islands in the Gulf of Bothnia.
06 of 06
UNESCO Sites in Iceland
There are two UNESCO World Heritage sites in Iceland:
- Thingvellir National Park is the cultural UNESCO site in Iceland. This park dates back to the 10th century and lets UNESCO visitors enjoy a thousand years of cultural use. Located 40 km east of Reykjavik, Iceland. Many guided tours of Iceland take you here.
- The natural UNESCO site in Iceland is Surtsey, a brand new island that was created by a volcano in the 1960s. It is being used scientifically and does not allow visitors. You can, however, view this new island on some of the local boat tours.