Easter Egg Hunts and Easter Egg Rolls are a big tradition in the UK. The rolling lawn of a stately home is an irresistible temptation for Easter Egg rollers. The elaborate gardens, woodlands and deer parks are perfect places to hide Easter Eggs and chocolate treats. Here are some of the best places for the family fun of Easter weekend in the UK.
01 of 10
What - The pleasure gardens at this stunning palace will be transformed into an Easter Wonderland. There's an "Easter Bunny Walkabout", fairy stilt walkers, a bouncy castle and bungee trampolining. Try your hand at archery, see a puppet show, plus a Punch and Judy show of course. And face painting, a dressing up tent, balloon twisters and more.
- When: 4-Day Easter Weekend, April 19 to 22, 2019
- Where: Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire OX20 1PX, England
- Telephone: +44 (0)8700 60 20 80
- Admission: Normal entrance and parking fees. A small additional charge for some activities.
02 of 10
What - Thousands of Easter Eggs will be hidden in the woodland gardens of this great Elizabethan house in East Yorkshire. On Easter Sunday and Monday, April 21 and 22, children can join the Easter Bunny to find some. And, during Easter School vacation, from April 6 to 22 there will also be an Easter Trail with Easter treats for solving all the clues. Throughout the month, search for the giant golden egg the Easter Bunny has hidden somewhere in the grounds. Sorry, no dogs in the Woodland Gardens during the Easter Egg hunts.
- When: In 2019, events will take place throughout the Easter School vacation, from April 6 to 22 , The special hunt with the Easter Bunny happens Easter Sunday and Monday, April 21 and 22. All events are between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Where: Burton Agnes Hall, Burton Agnes, Driffield, East Yorkshire, YO25 4NB, UK
- Telephone: +44 (0)1262 490324
- Admission: Normal grounds entrance price.
03 of 10
What - Easter events, throughout the magnificent Chatsworth estate, house and farmyard include several Easter Egg hunts a day throughout the four day Easter weekend plus hands on craft activities in the farmyard. Weather permitting, take a ride on the Easter Eggspress to track down the Easter Bunny. There are events and activities planned throughout the Easter school vacation period with the full schedule posted by mid March on the Chatsworth website.
- When: March 30 to April 28, 2019
- Where: Chatsworth, Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1PP, England
- Telephone: +44 (0) 1246 565300
- Admission: Free with normal admission. There's usually a small fee for the Easter Eggspress .
04 of 10
What - Traquair, Scotland's oldest inhabited house, opens its gardens on Easter Sunday for Easter Eggstravaganza, including Easter egg hunts and family activities. Easter Monday is not a holiday in Scotland so a lot of fun is packed into this one-day event - the biggest Easter egg hunt in the Scottish Borders at a house with the biggest, fun maze in the Borders as well. They've been doing this for 19 years and there are at least 6,000 eggs hidden in the grounds. The Easter Egg Hunt is limited to children under 10 years old. Children younger than 5 participate in an Easter Egg Scramble in the Walled Garden. And there are plenty of games and competitions that are about a lot more than chocolate.
Continue to 5 of 10 below.
- When: Easter Sunday, April 21 from noon to 5 p.m. in 2019. Grounds open at 11 a.m.
- Where: Traquair House, Innerleithen, Peeblesshire EH44 6PW
- Telephone: +44 (0)1896 830 323
- Admission: Gardens and grounds tickets £5 per child. Adults £6. Children under 5 free. There is an additional admission for visiting the house.
05 of 10
What - Cadbury Chocolate Easter Egg hunt on a trail designed by families for families. The theme is nature. Follow trails in the garden or Lady Spencer's Walk - both wheelchair accessible in dry weather - with a chocolate reward at the end.
- When: Easter Weekend, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. from April 19 through April 22.
- Where: Doe Lea, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S44 5QJ, England
- Telephone: +44 (0)1246 850430
- Admission: In addition to normal admission charges, buy your trail map in the Stable Yard. The Easter Egg hunt map is £3 for all ages.
06 of 10
What - More Tudor courtyard house than castle, Oxwich, near Swansea on the Gower Peninsula in Wales is a great destination for fans of heritage or great beaches. They're planning an Easter Trail on Easter Sunday. Complete the trail and all the clues for a sweet reward at the end.
- When: Easter Sunday, April 21, 2019, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: Oxwich Castle, Swansea SA3 1ND
- Telephone: +44 (0)1792 390 359
- Admission: Adults £4.20, children under 16 £2.50, Seniors £3.40 and family tickets available.
07 of 10
What - Throughout the Easter school holiday period, kids can follow the Bird Trail through Knole's medieval parkland, courtyards and Orangery. Find the wooden bird boxes, open them to count the eggs inside and win a Cadbury's egg. The event is open to all ages but is most suitable for children aged 3 to 11. And wear your wellies because the trail is bound to be muddy.
- When: The Cadbury's Easter Egg Trail is on from April 6 through April 22 in 2019. The trail is open from 11 a.m. to 3 pm. rain or shine.
- Where: Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent TN15 0RP, England
- Telephone: +44 (0)1732 450608
- Admission: The Easter Egg Hunt costs £3 per child in addition to normal admission.
08 of 10
What - Do you suppose they had decorated eggs in the Game of Thrones Kingdom of Westeros? You could find out during the Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt event at Castle Ward. The historic farmyard of the 18th and 19th century Georgian mansion overlooking Strangford Lough in Northern Ireland was Winterfell in Game of Thrones. The Whispering Wood is also somewhere on the estate. If you can't find it, at least you can look for lots of Easter clues with a chocolate prize if you solve the clues.
Continue to 9 of 10 below.
- When: Noon to 4p.m., April 19 to 23 in 2019
- Where: Castle Ward, Strangford, Co Down, BT30 7BA
Telephone: +44 (0)28 4488 1204
Admission: The Easter Egg Hunt costs £1.50 in addition to normal admission prices.
09 of 10
What - At Mount Stewart, near Newtownards in County Down, Northern Ireland, the Easter Bunny will need some help finding clues on the terraces around the lake. Collect all the clues, find the magic word and a chocolate reward it yours at this remarkable stately home.It has one of the most exotic and unusual gardens in Britain. It's Italianate Garden has an "ark" of exotic animals. And you might find some clues around the Dodo Terrace.
- When: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Good Friday through Easter Tuesday, April 19 to 23 in 2019. The house and grounds are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where Portaferry Road, Newtownards, County Down, BT22 2AD
- Telephone: +44 (0)28 4278 8387
- Admission: Normal admission charges apply and there is a £1.50 charge for the Easter Egg Hunt trail.
10 of 10
For several years, The National Trust and the National Trust of Scotland (NTS) have run Easter Egg Trails supported by Cadbury at hundreds of National Trust properties all over the UK. In 2019, hundreds of trails are combined with property specific activities, including face painting and games, over the Easter Bank Holiday. There are, naturally, chocolate prizes, provided by Cadbury, at the end of the trails.
Visit the Easter Egg Trail website after February 25 2019 and search by post code, the name of a National Trust Property or a town to find your nearest Easter Egg Trail.You can also visit the National Trust Home page, search for an attraction near you and then check its "events" page.