Read more about Paris and Toulouse.
Toulouse is in the Tarn region in Languedoc-Roussillon. It's a wonderful city, which many visitors strangely ignore, possibly as it's known as an aviation centre which today is home to Aerospatiale, which produces the Airbus and the Ariane space rocket.
Toulouse is where the Canal du Midi joins the Garonne river. If you fancy a truly relaxing holiday, I recommend taking a canal barge trip with European Waterways through Gascony on Rosa.
Paris to Toulouse by Train
- Direct TGV trains with no changes to Toulouse station leave from Gare Montparnasse in Paris (17 Boulevard de Vaugirard, Paris, 14th arrondissement) all through the day. The journey takes from 5hrs 20 mins.
Metro lines to and from Gare Montparnasse
- Ligne 4 – Porte de Clignancourt to Porte d’Orleans
- Ligne 6 - Charles de Gaulle Etoile to Nation
- Ligne 12 - Porte de la Chapelle to Mairie d’Issey
- Ligne 13 - Saint Denis/Universite et Gabriel Peri-Asnieres Gennevillers to Chatillon-Montrouge.
- Direct Intercity express trains with no changes to Toulouse station leave from Gare d'Austerlitz, 55 quai d'Austerlitz, Paris 13.
Transport links to Gare d'Austerlitz
Ligne 10: Austerlitz to Boulogne Pont de St-Cloud
Ligne 5: Bobigny Pablo Picasso to Place d’Italie
- For buses, see the Paris Bus map
- You can also take the TGV trains to Toulouse station via Paris Gare de Lyon (20 boulevard Diderot, Paris 12) all through the day. But these involve changes in Montpellier or Bordeaux.
Metro lines to and from Gare de Lyon
- Ligne 1 – La Defence to Chateau de Vincennes
- Ligne 14 – Saint Lazare to Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand
TGV trains to Toulouse station
- Paris to Toulouse station in 3hrs 21 mins.
- From Lille (which connects with Eurostar) the easiest and fastest route is directly to Lyon where you change trains (but not stations) for a direct train to Toulouse, taking around 7 hours.
- From Charles de Gaulle Airport the easiest and fastest route is also via Lyon taking around 6 hrs 15 mins.
Other connections to Toulouse by TGV
- Popular direct connections include Lyon, and Marseille.
- Toulouse has good high-speed links (non TGV) with major French cities. See the major TER services on the TER website.
Toulouse station is on boulevard Pierre Semard in the city center.
Booking Train Travel in France
- From the USA: Book online with Rail Europe
- From the UK: Book online with voyages sncf (former Rail Europe UK)
Getting to Toulouse by plane
Toulouse Blagnac Airport is 8 km (5 miles) northwest of the city. Shuttle buses run regularly from the Airport to central Toulouse taking 20 minutes. They leave the airport every 20 minutes from outside the Arrivals area, by door C, from 7.35am to 0.15am.
Destinations As Toulouse is the home of Airbus and a major industrial city, connections are excellent. Destinations include all the major French cities like Paris, Lille, Lyon, Nantes, Strasbourg, Nice and more.
International destinations include most European countries and Canada.
Paris to Toulouse by car
The distance from Paris to Avignon is around 680 kms (423 miles), and the journey takes around six hours 20 minutes depending on your speed.
There are tolls on the Autoroutes.
For information on hiring a car under the lease-back scheme which is the most economical way of hiring a car if you’re in France for more than 17 days, try Renault Eurodrive Buy Back Lease.
Compare car rental rates in Europe.
Getting from London to Paris
- By train (Eurostar)
Eurostar between London, Paris and Lille
By bus/coach Eurolines offers a cheap service from London, Gillingham, Canterbury, Folkestone and Dover to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris Gallieni. Six coaches a day; 2 overnight; journey time is 7 hours. The Eurolines stop is at the Paris Gallieni Coach Station, 28 ave du General de Gaulle, just by the Gallieni metro station near the Porte de Bagnolet (Metro line 3, final stop).
Eurolines website for French travel
IDBus also operates between London and Lille and London and Paris. IDBus also goes from Lille to Amsterdam and Brussels.