Read more about Marseille.
Paris to Marseille by Train
Metro lines to and from Gare de Lyon
- Ligne 1 – La Defence to Chateau de Vincennes
- Ligne 14 – Saint Lazare to Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand
TGV trains to Marseille station
- Paris to Marseille station in 3hrs 09 mins.
- Lille (which connects with Eurostar) to Marseille station in 4 hrs 46 mins.
- Charles de Gaulle Airport to Marseille station in 3 hrs 50 mins.
Other connections to Marseille by TGV
Marseille Saint-Charles station is on rue esplanade St-Charles, very near the city center.
How to Travel from London to Marseille Direct
Now you can travel direct from London to Marseille without changing either trains or stations. The new service started on May 1 2015, taking you from St. Pancras International to Marseille, with stops at Lyon and Avignon in just 6 hours 27 minutes.
Travel with Great Rail Journeys
Great Rail Journeys is a company which is flexible, helpful and efficient. This UK company organizes good, escorted group rail holidays. Check out some of their ideas on their website. Typical escorted group holidays include 6 days in the Dordogne and the Lot from £645 per person; and Languedoc and Carcassone (7 days from £795 per person).
Great Rail Journeys will also tailor-make you a holiday, combining river trips, city breaks and whatever else you want to see. Check out 4 days on the Cote d’Azur in Nice and Monaco at a cost from £320 per person which includes rail travel, 3 nights in a 3-star Nice hotel and a rail excursion to Monaco. Other destinations include Paris and Reims (from £ £470 per person); Paris and Avignon (5 days from £515 per person).
Contact Great Rail Journeys by telephone on 0800 140 4444 (from the UK) or check their website.
Booking Train Travel
- Buy tickets from the USA with Rail Europe
- Buy tickets from the UK with voyages sncf
Getting to Marseille by plane
Marseille-Provence Airport is 20 km (12 miles) north west of Marseille. It’s a major airport with national and international flights, including New York and London.
MP2 is the connected airport for cheapflights. A shuttle bus taking 5 minutes connects the two.
La Navette shuffle coaches run regularly to St-Charles railway station taking about 25 minutes.
Destinations include Paris, Lyon, Nantes and Strasbourg; Brussels; London, Birmingham, Leeds and Bradford; Morocco; Algeria; Madeira; Munich and Rotterdam.
Getting to Marseille by car
Paris to Marseille is 775 kms (482 miles) taking around 7 hours depending on your speed. There are tolls on the autoroutes. Marseille is easily accessible as three motorways linking Spain, Italy and Northern Europe intersect at Marseille.
If you're driving check out my Driving Tips and Advice in France
For information on hiring a car under the lease-back scheme which is the most economical way of hiring a car if you’re in France for more than 17 days, try Renault Eurodrive Buy Back Lease.
Getting from London to Paris
- By train (Eurostar)
- By bus/coach Eurolines offers a cheap service from London, Gillingham, Canterbury, Folkestone and Dover to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris Gallieni. Six coaches a day; 2 overnight; journey is 7 hours. The Euroline stop is at the Paris Gallieni Coach Station, 28 ave du General de Gaulle, just by the Gallieni metro station near the Porte de Bagnolet (Metro line 3, final stop).
Eurolines website for French travel
- IDBus also operates between London and Lille and London and Paris. IDBus also goes from Lille to Amsterdam and Brussels.