The Annual Turkish Festival, sponsored by the American-Turkish Association of Washington DC, is a family-friendly festival celebrating authentic Turkish art and culture with a rich variety of live musical and folk dance performances featuring Istanbul with a focus on connecting cultures. The Turkish Festival will also feature hands-on activities for kids, art demonstrations, guest speakers, arts and crafts vendors and Turkish cuisine.
Date and Time: Sunday, September 24, 2017, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Location: Freedom Plaza, Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington DC, between 12th and 14th Streets.
The closest Metro station is Federal Triangle
Parking is limited in this part of the city. Public transportation is highly recommended. See a map
Turkish Festival Highlights
- Turkish cuisine from local Washington DC restaurants: Kabobs, vegetarian dishes, pastries and desserts will be available for purchase. Turkish coffee will be offered at the ever-popular Turkish coffee house, and fortune-tellers will be reading fortunes from coffee grinds.
- A “Kid's Tent” will provide an interactive introduction to Turkey featuring hands-on activities that will provide children of all ages an afternoon full of educational fun and an opportunity to build and bring home their own artistic creations.
- “The Culture and Tourism Tent” will host exhibitions as well as demonstrations of Turkish arts such as calligraphy, paper marbling, tile-making, miniature, and carpet weaving. More than 20 arts and crafts vendors will showcase Turkish jewelry, hand-woven textiles, and pottery at the Turkish Bazaar.
In collaboration with the Textile Museum, the American-Turkish Association of Washington DC has designated the month of September as "Turkish Cultural Heritage Month,” showcasing the cultural history of Turkey, authentic Turkish cuisine and fine arts with a full month of festivities.
About the American-Turkish Association (ATA) - Washington DC
ATA-DC is a non-profit organization whose primary mission is to promote understanding between Turkish and non-Turkish communities through cultural, social and educational programs. ATA-DC is managed by a 20 member all-volunteer board whose mission is to promote better understanding and to foster friendship between the peoples of Turkey and the United States of America; to raise the public knowledge level and understanding of the Turkish culture and history in the community; and to help Turkish Americans preserve their culture in the Unites States.
For more information, visit www.atadc.org.
Turkish Restaurant Week
Turkish Restaurant Week also takes place this month. Select restaurants will offer a 3-course lunch for $18 and a 4-course dinner for $30. Participating restaurants include:
- Agora - 1527 17th Street NW Washington, DC (202) 332-6767
- Ankara - 1320 19th St NW Washington, DC (202) 293-6301
- Cafe Divan - 1834 Wisconsin Ave NW Washington, DC (202) 338-1747
- Ezme Restaurant & Wine Bar - 2016 P Street, NW Washington, DC (202) 223-4303
- Istanbul Blue Restaurant - The Village Green, 523 Maple Ave W, Vienna, VA (703) 938-8949
- Yayla Bistro - 2201 N Westmoreland St, Arlington, VA (703) 533-5600
- Zaytinya - 701 9th Street NW, Washington, DC (202) 638-0800