This holiday season, one fun way to join friends, family, and neighbors is by participating in one of Turkey Trots in Washington, D.C., Maryland, or Northern Virginia. While some of these events are for charity, other runs are just for enjoyment, and all of them will help you burn a few calories before the big Thanksgiving feast. In 2019, there are many Turkey Trots, fun runs, and races in the Washington D.C., metropolitan area.
- SOME's (So Others Might Eat) 18th Annual Thanksgiving Day Trot for Hunger: This popular trot begins at Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C. on November 28, 2019. The event, presented by General Dynamics, features a 5K fun run and family walk, live music, games, and more and helps SOME serve up to 1,000 meals to the hungry every day of the year.
- Cranberry Crawl 5K Run or Race Walk/10K Run: On November 16, 2019, the Potomac Valley Track Club annual turkey trot takes place at East Potomac Park Golf Course in Washington, D.C.
- Turkey Chase Bethesda–Chevy Chase YMCA: Every Thanksgiving for the past 35 years, thousands of runners have gathered in Bethesda to run in the Turkey Chase in support of the YMCA's Youth and Family Services, YMCA Bethesda-Chevy Chase and the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rotary Club Foundation. Join this cause on November 28, 2019, that includes a 10K race, a two-mile fun run, and even a 50-meter tot trot for the littlest ones.
- Turkey Trot 10K: Organized by the Marine Corps Marathon, participants get a preemptive strike against those extra holiday calories with this Thanksgiving week 10K race on November 23, 2019. Experience the fall foliage around Quantico Marine Base; you can even win a frozen turkey to take home.
- Alexandria Turkey Trot: DC Road Runners Club, a local group affiliated with USA Track & Field, sponsors an annual race on Thanksgiving Day, November 28, 2019. Food donations support ALIVE!, a nonprofit organization serving Alexandria's needy. This five-mile course is "pancake flat" and friendly to families, dogs, and strollers.
- Arlington Turkey Trot - 5K Fun Run/Walk: Held on Thanksgiving Day, November 28, 2019, this run goes through Lyon Park and Ashton Heights and raises money for three local Arlington charities: Arlington-Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless, Doorways for Women and Children and Arlington Food Assistance Center.
- Freeze Your Gizzard 5K Cross Country Race: This event in Leesburg on November 23, 2019, has a 5K or one-mile option. Food donations will benefit Loudoun Interfaith Relief, the largest food pantry in Loudoun County and an organization providing support to homeless shelters, low-income senior citizen housing centers, and after school programs for at-risk children.