April is a wonderful month to be in Amsterdam and the Netherlands as a whole, when multi-colored rows of tulips blanket the fields and locals await Queen's Day, the birthday of Queen Beatrix's mother, Juliana. The Dutch come out in droves as the sunny days return, and as dusk falls later and later, there's ever more time to explore. Compare this to other advice and events for traveling Amsterdam throughout the year.
- April is the second-driest month after February - but considerably warmer!
- Seasonal attractions, from theme parks to cafe terraces, re-open
- Keukenhof, the Netherlands' world-famous tulip park, is open all month
- Airfare and accommodation fees rise thanks to "tulipmania" and Queen's Day festivities fees rise thanks to "tulipmania" and Queen's Day festivities
- Tourist attractions become more crowded, especially on weekends -- and Queen's Day ushers in the mother of all crowds!
- Average high: 55°F (12.8°C)
- Average low: 38°F (3.3°C)
- Average precipitation: 2.1 in (53 mm)
Yearly Festivals & Events in April
See event web sites for this year's visitor information.
Amsterdams Kleinkunst Festival
The 24th Amsterdams Kleinkunst Festival takes over two Leidseplein theaters with talent from the world of Dutch cabaret. (Note: Performances are in Dutch only.)
Breakin' Walls Festival
Frascati Theater puts on this "international, multi-disciplinary youth festival" twice yearly to show off the performance talent of under 27's.
At a loss for how to spend Easter Sunday in Amsterdam? Check out these celebratory tips for both adults and children of all denominations.
Keukenhof, the Netherlands' world-famous bulb flower park, is open for the 2012 season. Travel there without a hitch with our Keukenhof transport tips, or see pictures from previous seasons.
Come on over to the Posthoornkerk (Haarlemmerstraat 124-126) between 1 and 8 p.m. to sample the season's best beers; entrance is € 6, and each credit (€ 1.75/ea) is worth 15 cL (5 oz.) of beer. Make it a beer-themed day with a trip to the Heineken Experience and/or some of the best local beer bars.
Museums all over the Netherlands ditch their (often pricey) admission fees on this weekend only in April; see the Museumweekend website for a complete list of participants by city, or read more about Amsterdam's museums.
Around one million revelers will descend on Amsterdam for Queen's Day, the birthday of the former Queen Juliana, so be prepared: those who'd prefer to avoid the crowds should head to open spaces like the Vondelpark, which turns into a children's paradise on April 30, or skip town for some more laid-back celebrations!
World Press Photo
World Press Photo honors the best photojournalism each year with an awards ceremony and mobile exhibition, which debuts in Amsterdam's Oude Kerk (Old Church) before it travels the world.de Kerk (Old Church) before it travels the world.