Read more about Cherbourg.
Cherbourg is at the northern tip of the Cotentin peninsula in Normandy. Once among the most important transatlantic passenger ports, its glory has declined since the large liners found other docks. But it's still a lively town, and famous for its umbrellas. Walk through the old streets full of shops and restaurants and try to catch the weekly Thursday market which is held on and around the rue des Halles. The main tourist attraction is the Cité de la Mer, which has a special Titanic exhibit. The ship called here before her fatal maiden voyage on April 10, 1912.
The museum has done a great job reconstructing various different parts of the ship: the wireless room, mail room and a first-class cabin.
Cherbourg Tourist Office
Quai Alexandre III
Tel.: 00 33 (0)2 33 93 52 02
Paris to Cherbourg by Train
TGV trains to Cherbourg leave from Paris Gare Saint Lazare (13 rue Amsterdam, Paris 8) all through the day.
Metro lines to and from Gare Saint Lazare
- Ligne 3: Porte de Levallois-Becon to Gallieni
- Ligne 12: Porte de la Chapelle to Mairie d’Issy
- Ligne 13: Saint-Denis–Universite to Chatillon–Montrouge
- Ligne 14: Saint Lazare to Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand
For buses, see the Paris Bus map
Intercity express trains to Cherbourg station
Direct trains leave Paris for Cherbourg regularly throughout the day. The journey takes from 3 hrs 12 mins.
You can also take the train from Paris to Caen, taking from 2 hrs 17 mins, then change onto a TER train from Caen to Cherbourg, taking from 1 hr 11 mins. Total journey time with the change is from 3 hrs 33 mins.
- From Lille (which connects with Eurostar) to Cherbourg station you must change in Paris from Paris Nord to Paris Saint Lazare. The journey takes from 5 hrs 15 mins.
- TER trains connect Cherbourg with Caen and Lisieux. See the major TER services on the TER website.
Cherbourg station is on ave J-F Millet, a short walk south of the center.
Book your Train Ticket
- Book Rail Tickets on Rail Europe from the USA
- Book Rail Tickets on Rail Europe from the UK
Getting to Cherbourg by Ferry
Brittany Ferries operate the most luxurious ferries on every service they offer. The rapid crossing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg takes 3 hours. There is also a ferry from Poole taking 4 hrs, 30 mins. Seasonal timetables operate.
Cherbourg Ferry Terminal
Quai de Normandie
Tel: 00 33 (0)2 33 88 44 88
Getting to Cherbourg by car
Paris to Cherbourg is 357 kms (221 miles) taking around 3 hours 45 mins depending on your speed. There are tolls on the autoroutes.
For information on hiring a car under the lease-back scheme which is the most economical way of hiring a car if you’re in France for more than 17 days, try Renault Eurodrive Buy Back Lease.
Getting from London to Paris
- By train (Eurostar)
Eurostar between London, Paris and Lille
- By bus/coach Eurolines offers a cheap service from London, Gillingham, Canterbury, Folkestone and Dover to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris Gallieni. Six coaches a day; 2 overnight; journey time is 7 hours. The Eurolines stop is at the Paris Gallieni Coach Station, 28 ave du General de Gaulle, just by the Gallieni metro station near the Porte de Bagnolet (Metro line 3, final stop).
Eurolines website for French travel
- IDBus also operates between London and Lille and London and Paris. IDBus also goes from Lille to Amsterdam and Brussels.