Cooler Temperatures & Fewer Crowds - Visit Toronto in September
With temperatures dipping back to much more civilized numbers in the 60s and little humidity, Toronto is a great city to visit in September.
In fact, the diminished crowds and pleasant weather make September an ideal time to visit most places across Canada, so consider extending your trip to include the Maritimes, Quebec or Western Canada.
Toronto is a great city and there's lots to do, but exploring other Canadian destinations will broaden your sense of this diverse country.
By mid-September, leaves are starting to turn colour from green to vibrant orange, yellow and reds and by the end of the month, they may be peaking so be sure to check out the best places to find fall foliage in Toronto, scenic Ontario drives or visit any of the charming towns that are near Toronto.
The summer festival season lingers into September with the Illustrious Toronto International Film Festival getting underway in the second week of September. The onslaught of A-list celebrities, media and fans can make hotels pricey and packed. Be sure to book ahead of time. Read reviews and check rates of Toronto hotels at TripAdvisor.
September Weather in Toronto
Weather in September is pretty reliable with the worst case scenarios not being bad at all.
Average comfortable temperatures in the 60s may creep up into the 70s and 80s during the day at the beginning of the month, so you'll need a t-shirt more than a parka. No snow usually till November but rain is a possibility.
- Average September temperature: 15.6ºC / 60ºF
- September average high: 20.6ºC / 69ºF
- September average low: 9ºC / 48ºF
- Visitors can expect rain about 5 out of 30 days in September.
Read more about weather in Canada.
What to Pack for Toronto in September
Visitors to Toronto in September should be prepared for a variety of temperatures. Pack clothing that can be layered. Pack your t-shirts, but just be sure to have a sweater or jacket on hand.
- Shorts; t-shirts; long sleeve shirts; sweaters / sweatshirts; jacket; long pants; closed-toe shoes, boots.
- Sunhat, sunglasses, sunscreen
Toronto in September Perks
- Beautiful weather - no longer hot and humid and not yet cold. Many outdoor activities can still be enjoyed comfortably with just a little extra clothing. Go hikiing, walk the beach or sit at an outdoor patio.
- Fewer tourists mean travel and hotel deals. See Labour Day travel deals.
Good to Know about Toronto in September
- The first Monday of September is the Labour Day holiday. Banks and most stores will be closed. Expect crowds that weekend.
- Kids go back to school the day after Labour Day so roads get busier again.
Toronto in September - Event and Festival Highlights
- Cabbagetown Festival
- The Toronto International Film Festival
- Beer Week
- Harbourfront Centre always offers special artistic and cultural events.
- The Distillery Historic District has tours and other special events.
- Casa Loma plans special events regularly.
Toronto in September - Highlights for Kids
- Toronto Zoo has special events and offers throughout the year.
- Canadian National Exhibition, mid-August through Labour Day weekend: One of the largest annual fairs in North America.