Located in Mississauga, just outside of Toronto, Toronto's Lester B. Pearson International Airport (airport code YYZ), also known as Toronto Pearson International Airport, named for Canada's 14th prime minister, is about 25 miles (40 kilometers) from downtown Toronto or 30-40 mins by car.
Pearson is the busiest airport in Canada: more than 25 million passengers pass through Toronto Pearson International Airport annually.
Getting From Toronto Pearson International Airport to Downtown Toronto (and Back)
- Union Pearson Express: Launched in 2015, the Union Pearson Express provides easy, affordable transit between Toronto Pearson International Airport and the city's hub train station, Union Station. Trains making the 25-minute journey depart every 15 minutes.
- Public Transit: The Airport Rocket provides all-day, regular accessible express bus service between Kipling Station on the Bloor-Danforth Subway and Pearson International Airport. This means there is a necessary transfer to or from the airport and downtown Toronto. Travel time between the Toronto Airport and Union Station would be about 45 minutes and would cost the value of a TTC ticket.
- Taxis: Taxis to hotels in downtown Toronto take about 30-40 mins. The City of Toronto licenses the taxis that service Toronto Pearson International Airport to ensure safety standards and fare consistency. Rates are predetermined based on the time and distance to your destination within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Taxis are available outside of every terminal and there is typically a taxi stand where you will be directed to a taxi. For destinations outside of the GTA, travelers are charged per kilometer (1.6 km = 1 mile). For example, the rate for a taxi to Niagara Falls is about Cdn $165 plus tip. Rates are based per car, not per passenger. To return to Toronto Pearson International Airport from Toronto, taxis will charge you the metered rate.
- Limousines: Limousines to hotels in downtown Toronto take about 30-40 mins. Limousines are comfortable sedans, typically black, that operate similarly to taxis, but offer a higher standard of service and newer vehicles. Limousines are available outside of every terminal. The City of Toronto licenses the limousines that service Toronto Pearson International Airport to ensure safety standards and fare consistency. Rates are predetermined based on the time and distance to your destination within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). For destinations outside of the GTA, limousines charge per kilometer (1.6 km = 1 mile). Rates are based per car, not per passenger.
To return to Toronto Pearson International Airport from Toronto by limousine, call ahead and book one.
- Complimentary Airport Hotel Shuttle: Most hotels near Toronto Pearson International Airport offer free shuttle service to and from the airport. For transportation from the airport, just look for the shuttle pick-up area or call the hotel directly. Most people tip the shuttle driver about Cdn $1 to $5. Downtown Toronto hotels do not have airport shuttles. Guests are expected to find their way to and from the airport and hotel.
- Rental Cars: Toronto Pearson International Airport has five rental car companies on-site. if you need to rent a car. Rental car agencies are located on Level 1 of the parking garage at each terminal.
- Private Shuttle to and from Areas outside Toronto: Numerous transit companies offer either shared or private service to and from Toronto Pearson International Airport to and from locations outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), such as Niagara Falls, Oakville, and Hamilton. For example, Airways Transit is a popular transit company that has locations at terminals 1 & 3 and offers shared transportation between locations outside of the GTA and the airport. Cost varies depending on distance traveled but is generally cheaper than taxis.
For complete information about Toronto Pearson International Airport, consult the Toronto Pearson International Airport official website.