March can be a good time to visit Toronto but it does have its drawbacks. The main advantage is that it is during shoulder season, so there are plenty of travel bargains to be had. Hotel rates and airfare can be heavily discounted at this time. However, you must choose your weeks carefully. March Break is a one- or two- week holiday for Canadian public school students and is a busy time for hotels and popular attractions. The weeks for March Break vary by province.
March Weather in Toronto
March weather in Toronto is generally warming up, but still unpredictable. Will it be t-shirt weather with early spring blossoms or a late-season snow storm?
- March average high: 3ºC / 37ºF
- Highest ever in March: 27ºC / 81ºF
- March average low: -5ºC / 23ºF
- Lowest ever in March: -27ºC / -17ºF
What to Pack for Toronto in March
- Warm, waterproof clothing; sweaters, hoodies, winter jacket
- A lighter jacket, like a trench coat, fleece or windbreaker
- Hat and gloves
- Closed-toe shoes; water-proof boots
Toronto in March Perks
Toronto in March Cons
- Unpredictable weather - neither wet and cold nor hot and sunny would be unusual
Getting out of the Cold
Getting out of the City
- Day trips out of Toronto - within 2 hours of Toronto, there are plenty of interesting, historic towns to visit or major tourist attractions, like Niagara Falls
- Canada Blooms: The Toronto Flower & Garden Show at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre: Start to get excited about spring with four days of gardening gadgets, tips, and of course, flowers.
- The Toronto St. Patrick's Day Parade takes place on a Sunday close to March 17th
- Visit one of Toronto's Irish pubs on St. Patrick's Day
- Lots of Maple Syrup Festivals take place outside Toronto from Feb to April
- Harbourfront Centre always offers special artistic and cultural events
- The Distillery Historic District has tours and other special events