Labour Day falls on Monday, September 5, 2016, this year, which means Labour Day weekend runs from Friday, September 2 - Monday, September 5.
If you're spending Labour Day weekend in Vancouver, BC, there are loads of special events and activities for all ages. Use this list of the Top 10 Things to Do in Vancouver on Labour Day Weekend to plan your last weekend of summer!
1. The Fair at the PNE - August 20 - September 5, 2016
The biggest summer send-off in Vancouver is the annual Fair at the PNE, an enormous fair that combines Playland's amusement park rides with live shows--including animal shows and concerts--tons of fair food, agriculture exhibits, and more.
Admission to the the Fair includes all shows and concerts, but you will have to pay extra to ride the rides.
2. FREE Summer Night Markets - September 2 - 5, 2016
The two huge, Asian-style night markets in Richmond--the Richmond Night Market and the Panda Night Market (formerly names the International Summer Night Market)--will be open every night of Labour Day weekend. The Panda Night Market is FREE; the Richmond Night Market is $2.75 for adults (free for kids and seniors).
3. FREE Victory Square Block Party - September 4, 2016
This block party is an annual all-ages music fest in the Downtown Eastside's Victory Square; the 2016 line-up includes Mourning Coup, So Loki, Jody Glenham and the Dreamers, Milk, Pale Red, and SBDC.
4. FREE Vancouver TaiwanFest - September 3 - 5, 2016
This annual festival celebrates all things Taiwanese with loads of live music performances, culinary demonstrations, food, and more--all in downtown Vancouver.
5. FREE North Vancouver's Shipyards Night Market - September 2, 2016
Open on Friday nights, this neighbourhood night market is smaller than the giants in Richmond and has more of a nighttime farmers market vibe. Features live entertainment and a beer garden.
6. Bard on the Beach - Ongoing through September 24
One of Canada's largest Shakespeare festivals, Bard on the Beach is a summer tradition in Vancouver, performing the Bard's greatest works at open-backed tents in scenic Vanier Park.
This season's plays include A Midsummer's Night Dream and The Tempest.
7. Picasso: The Artist and His Muses at the Vancouver Art Gallery - Ongoing through October 2
The Vancouver Art Gallery showcases the "most significant exhibition of Picasso’s work ever presented in Vancouver," including major works, painting, drawing, print, and sculpture.
8. Vancouver Attractions
Take advantage of the long weekend and visit some of Vancouver's biggest attractions, including the Top 10 Vancouver Attractions, Vancouver Attractions for Kids, and Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.
9. Vancouver Attractions & Outdoor Adventures
Labour Day weekend in Vancouver is the perfect time to take advantage of all the incredible outdoor activities the city has to offer: beaches, parks, outdoor pools, outdoor adventures, kayaking, golfing, biking the seawall, sightseeing boat cruises, and Grouse Mountain.
10. Vancouver Day Trips & Weekend Getaways
Even if you are staying in Vancouver for part of Labour Day weekend, you can always add in a quick getaway:
- Best Vancouver Day Trips & Weekend Getaways
- Romantic Getaways from Vancouver
- Family-Friendly Day Trips from Vancouver
- Camping near Vancouver
- Best Beaches near Vancouver
- Crossing the Border between Canada & the U.S.