Labour Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September. The Labor Day Weekend includes the Saturday and Sunday prior. Labor Day is considered the unofficial end of summer.
If you're spending Labour Day weekend in Vancouver, BC, there are loads of special events and activities for all ages. Use this list of the Top 10 Things to Do in Vancouver on Labour Day Weekend to plan your last weekend of summer!
1. The Fair at the PNE - Last 2 weeks of August through Labor Day
The biggest summer send-off in Vancouver is the annual Fair at the PNE, an enormous fair that combines Playland's amusement park rides with live shows--including animal shows and concerts--tons of fair food, agriculture exhibits, and more. Admission to the Fair includes all shows and concerts, but you will have to pay extra to ride the rides.
2. FREE Summer Night Markets - Open each night of Labor Day Weekend
The two huge, Asian-style night markets in Richmond--the Richmond Night Market and the Panda Night Market (formerly names the International Summer Night Market)--will be open every night of Labour Day weekend. The Panda Night Market is FREE; the Richmond Night Market charges for adults (free for kids and seniors).
3. FREE Victory Square Block Party - Usually held on Sunday of Labor Day Weekend
This block party is an annual all-ages music fest in the Downtown Eastside's Victory Square.
The event features alternative music and up and coming bands.
4. FREE Vancouver TaiwanFest - Labor Day Weekend
This annual festival celebrates all things Taiwanese with loads of live music performances, culinary demonstrations, food, and more--all in downtown Vancouver.
5. FREE North Vancouver's Shipyards Night Market - Friday Night
Open on Friday nights, this neighborhood night market is smaller than the giants in Richmond and has more of a nighttime farmers market vibe.
Features live entertainment and a beer garden.
6. Bard on the Beach - June through September
One of Canada's largest Shakespeare festivals, Bard on the Beach is a summer tradition in Vancouver, performing the Bard's greatest works at open-backed tents in scenic Vanier Park.
7. Visit the Vancouver Art Gallery - Ongoing
The Vancouver Art Gallery is open daily 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. with extended summer hours until 9 p.m. Special traveling exhibits make a visit during Labour Day Weekend one of our top suggestions.
8. Vancouver Attractions
Take advantage of the long weekend and visit some of Vancouver's biggest attractions, including the Top 10 Vancouver Attractions, Vancouver Attractions for Kids, and Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.
9. Vancouver Attractions & Outdoor Adventures
Labour Day weekend in Vancouver is the perfect time to take advantage of all the incredible outdoor activities the city has to offer: beaches, parks, outdoor pools, outdoor adventures, kayaking, golfing, biking the seawall, sightseeing boat cruises, and Grouse Mountain.
10. Vancouver Day Trips & Weekend Getaways
Even if you are staying in Vancouver for part of Labour Day weekend, you can always add in a quick getaway:
- Best Vancouver Day Trips & Weekend Getaways
- Romantic Getaways from Vancouver
- Family-Friendly Day Trips from Vancouver
- Camping near Vancouver
- Best Beaches near Vancouver
- Crossing the Border between Canada & the U.S.
- Guide to Sun Peaks, BC