The alternating-current electric power supply available to homes and businesses in Italy, as in the rest of Europe (and most of the rest of the world), is a powerful 220 volts, with a frequency of 50 Hz per second. In the US, the electric power supply is 110 volts, with a frequency of 60 Hz.
Not only are the voltages and frequencies different in the U.S. and Europe, but the sockets and plugs are shaped differently, too: two prongs for most devices in the US; three or four for the 220-volt electricity in Europe and much of Asia and Latin America.
If you want to use US electrical devices in Italy, you'll need a three-prong plug adapter, which is a device that allows you to insert your two-prong US plug into the back of a three-prong adapter; you can then plug the adapter into an Italian wall outlet. These adapters often come as a set, each suitable for the variously shaped outlets of different countries, and they typically include a small cloth travel pouch.
Only Type L Plugs for... Italy
In Italy and Switzerland, the sockets are different from those in the rest of Europe. They only accept Type L plugs with three thin round prongs. Either get a plug that's just for Italian sockets or get a universal plug that specifies it accommodates Italian sockets. Many adapters are fitted with USB ports so that you can charge devices while the adapter is plugged in.
An adapter plug is all you need for most devices. These days, most travel and electronic devices, such as Apple laptops, are dual-voltage, which means they accept both 110-120 volts and 220-240 volts. (Check your device.) So you just need an adapter plug to use your 110-volt device abroad. In some older models, you'll have to flip a switch to take it from 110 to 220, or vice versa. Note that it is usually not necessary to bring a hair dryer because most hotels have them installed in guest bathrooms.
Here are some reliable power plug adapters that work in Italy.
01 of 05
This travel adapter plug with dual USB ports is designed in the US and is fully guaranteed, meaning it will be replaced with a new one if returned. Its features:
- Three-in-one Input: Accepts the standard N American 2 or 3 prong flat pin plug (including polarized). Dual USB charges up to 2.4A. It's ideal for iPhones, iPads, Galaxys, and other chargers.
- Ultra-compact size (1.5 x 1.5 x 1.75"). Maximum load rating: 10-15A/250V.
- International output plug Type L. Compatible in Italy, Switzerland, Chile, Ethiopia, Italy, Libya, Syria, Tunisia, and Uruguay.
- This travel adapter plug is compatible only with dual-voltage products and electronics. It is not a voltage converter, and it will not convert the voltage from 220V to 110V or vice versa.
02 of 05
This bare bones Type L plug adapter is compatible with Italian sockets. It features:
- Pack of three small travel-size adapters.
- Type L Italian plug adapter.
- Accepts plugs from all countries including the United States, but not from South Africa.
- New conductivity design, with internal metal interfaces that provide better conductivity.
- Grounded plug with three-round prongs. Maximum capacity up to 3000 Watt (max 250 volts, 13 A).
- Lifetime limited warranty
03 of 05
The highly rated Orei travel charger is compatible with Italian sockets and plugs. It includes 2 USB (3.4A/17W) ports, and it charges all iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Android, HTC One, Motorola and LG electronics and digital cameras (W2U-L). It features:
- This adapter can charge two ports simultaneously at maximum speed, one 2.4A output (iPad) and the other at 1.A output (iPhone/Android).
- Heavy duty, small and compact for travel.
- Supports worldwide voltage, AC 110-240V, for international travel.
- Supports nearly all USB-powered devices.
- Type L Italy plug.
04 of 05
This international travel plug adapter is for use in Italy. It converts a U.S. or European plug to a Type L Italian plug. The adapter modifies the plug to fit an Italian electrical outlet. It supports universal voltage (110V-240V). The features:
Continue to 5 of 5 below.
- A new product: universal-to-Italian plug adapter.
- It adapts any international plug to an Italian three-prong plug.
- Measures approximately 1.5 inches long by 1.5 inches deep by two inches wide.
- Note: This adapter does not convert the voltage. It is not a transformer.
05 of 05
This is a black and blue worldwide, universal, dual-USB travel power plug adapter. It converts international plugs for use in Italy, elsewhere in Europe, the UK, India, Israel, and Asia. The features:
- Worldwide plug adapter that specifically covers Italy Type L and more than 150 other countries in Europe, Asia, and Africa.
- Certification: Built-In safety shutters and a spare fuse. The world adapter plug passed FCC and is certified.
- Dual-USB charging ports: Designed with dual-USB ports (receptacles) that allow you to charge two electrical devices (connectors) simultaneously. 2.5A USB output supports a variety of the latest digital products.
- Safe fireproof materials: Plastic parts adopt imported PC flame-retardant materials, effective fire prevention, high-temperature resistance. Safe to use both indoors and outdoors.
- Seller warranty: Risk-free for a one-year limited guarantee. Refund or perfect replacement without condition in 12 months from the purchase date.