Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products and services; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Puerto Rico has its share of boutique resorts, casino hotels, and charming inns, but it's also got plenty of lodging options that cater to the kids. From extensive menus of activities to designated areas devoted to your children, the five hotels on this list go out of their way to make the whole family comfortable. If you're planning a Caribbean vacation with the family, check out what they offer.
El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa
The El Conquistador Resort in Fajardo has an outstanding menu of facilities for kids:
- Camp Coqui - A program for children ages 4-12 that offers activities under counselor supervision, include kayaking, arts & crafts, and a mini-Olympics.
- Coqui Water Park - A one-of-a-kind park with several pools, rope bridges, and water slides. The hotel now offers the Coquí Water Park Package (starting at $249 per room/per night, minimum three nights), and includes daily breakfast buffet, admission for four to the park, and airport transfers.
- Princess & Prince Charming Spa Package. An "Intro to Spas" for teenagers.
- The Arthur Hills Golf Course - Offering parent/child nine-hole tournaments and golf clinics for the family.
- Game Room.
- Toddler's swimming pool.
The Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa: A Wyndham Grand Resort
Located closer to the El Yunque rainforest than San Juan, The Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa has a little bit of everything: casinos, spa, golf courses, numerous restaurants, tennis courts, and a kids-first program called Club Iguana. Duly enrolled, they then get to participate in a host of activities, such as:
- Sea shell collecting
- Sand castle building
- Scavenger hunts
- Arts & Crafts
- Kite flying
- Nature walks
- Mini Olympics
- Children's movies
- Dancing classes
All activities are conducted under adult supervision. The hotel also has a kids-only pool adjacent to the adults-only pool.
At the Caribe Hilton in San Juan, you're conveniently close to the Old City and smack in front of one of the city's best beaches. Families staying at the hotel also get the benefit of Kidz Paradise. This children's program kicks off with a special welcome gift (for kids 12 or younger). The Kidz Center is equipped games and play equipment that kids can borrow for free, a Game Room, and recreational activities.
The Caribe Hilton also offers terrific deals for families with kids. Specifically:
- Children under 18 stay for free (when accompanied by an adult).
- Children under 5 eat at the hotel for free.
- Children 5-12 get free breakfast and half off all other meals at selected restaurants at the hotel (again, when accompanied by an adult).
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan Hotel, Spa & Casino
In general, the Ritz Hotels do a great job of catering to kids, and the San Juan branch is no different. While the parents are at the casino, children aged 5-12 can enjoy the Ritz Kids Program, which includes the following supervised activities:
- Arts & Crafts
- Sandcastle Sculpting
- Nature tours
- Spanish classes
Beyond that, the hotel offers additional services for younger children, including nanny service, special menus, and certified professionals trained in water safety, CPR and care for kids.
The Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino
One of the newer hotels in San Juan has an array of packages to tempt visitors, including families. Their family package includes:
- A traditional room
- Free meals for kids (with purchase of an adult meal)
- 4 pm late checkout based on availability (always a good thing when you're trying to gather the troops on the last day)
- One in-room movie each night
- A welcome snack
- Complimentary rollaway bed