This is my list of Top 10 Golf Courses and Resorts in Maui. As you may already know, there are 17 great Golf Courses in Maui and Lana'I, so it's no wonder the island has become THE premier location for a golf getaway. The courses are, for most-part, suitable for golfers of every level of skill, which means an enjoyable outing for everyone, even me. Each of the Golf Courses in Maui has its own special qualities, each is a challenge unto itself, each is a memory in the making, and each promises a great day out out on the links.
When all is said and done, however, there's a problem: with so many choices, and so little time, the choice of which courses to play can be a difficult one. So where are the best places to play golf in Maui? This little guide will provide you with some ideas.
Although Maui's golf courses are often busy, tee times are usually easy enough to come by. And, if you think your game needs a tune-up, Maui's teaching professionals stand ready, willing able to get you in the groove by utilizing the latest in high-tech tools and teaching techniques.
Now, I've always maintained that planning such an outing is almost as much fun as the trip itself. Whether you're a life-long addict, or just a rookie starting out, you'll find the golf on Maui's Magic Isles to be the experience of a lifetime. To help you out, I've put together a list of 10 (plus 1) golf courses, along with reviews, along what's lately become known as Maui's Golf Coast.
So, grab a pen and paper, follow along, and have fun figuring it out. Have fun. I do:
- Challenge at Manele: Rated in the top 100 courses in the world, it is one of the best courses in Hawaii. This Jack Nicklaus signature course has an awesome location on the cliffs at Manele Bay.
- Experience at Keole: Designed by Greg Norman, The Experience is on top of Lanai and above Lanai City in a plantation style setting. The cozy hotel and upcountry course were built in the upper valleys of this pineapple island privately owned by Dole Co.
- The Dunes at Maui Lani: Maui's newest course and already one of the must-plays! An interesting test of golf, it offers spectacular mountain and valley views of West Maui Mountains and Halelakala Volcano.
- The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, Maui's Grand Golf Resort
- Kapalua Bay Course Kapalua Resort's championship ocean course - rolling, hilly terrain through resort and to ocean; 68 bunkers total; 8 water hazards total; picturesque 5th hole has golfers at the edge of the Pacific. Home of Kapalua LPGA Classic.
- Kapalua Plantation Course Kapalua Resort's championship mountain links course - deep valleys; expansive greens and fairways; signature hole 18 is the PGA TOUR's longest at 663 yards. Home to Mercedes-Benz Championship.
- Royal Kaanapali Course: Scenic fairways, sweeping views of the ocean and mountains.
- Ka'anapali Kai: Beautiful ocean views, rolling fairways, premium on accuracy not distance.
- Makena North Course: Located on 1,800 acres of unspoiled, natural beauty; both the North and South Courses at Makena will whet any golfer's appetite.
- Wailea Gold Course: award-winning golf; host of Champions & LPGA Skins Games.
Where to Stay in Maui:
There are, of course, quite a few resort options in Maui. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Sheraton Maui Resort
- The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
- Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
- The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
How to Get There:
Kahului Airport (OGG) is located on the northern edge of the land bridge between Haleakala and the West Maui Mountain Range on the island of Maui.
Okay, so maybe Maui is not in the budget this year. If that's the case, you could consider these ideas for a warm weather golf vacation: Florida, the American Southwest, Bermuda, the Bahamas, all over the Caribbean and Mexico and many more.