I've just updated this list of what I consider to be the top 10 golf destinations in the world. Just my opinions, but the links provided below offer a comprehensive source of travel information, golf course and resort reviews, photos, etc. In fact, it's all you need to plan that once-in-a-lifetime golf trip. From the mountains of Scotland to the deserts of Arizona and beyond, you'll find all you need to know right here. This first item is my choice of the top five. The second item is, well the second five, numbers 6 to 10.
The Top 5 Golf Destinations in the World
- Scotland: St. Andrews, right? Well of course, but there's so much more. Scotland is, after all, the home of golf, the place where it was invented, and there are literally hundreds of world-class courses and resorts to choose from.
- Florida: Okay, choose Florida, almost anywhere in Florida, for that golf vacation and it's not likely that you'll be disappointed: the sun almost always shines (yep, it does rain now and again, but that's not hard to plan around), the grass is almost always green, and the golf courses are amazing. Florida's Golf Courses and Resorts.
- Arizona: Arizona's golf courses and resorts are as diverse as they are numerous. From Pete Dye to Jack Nicklaus to Robert Trent Jones, every designer of note is represented in one form or another. Arizona's golf resorts are set among some of the most scenic countryside in the world: rugged mountains, vast tracts of Saguaro cacti, and the eye-popping ribbons of emerald green set against the golden desert sands. Arizona's Golf Courses and Resorts.
- Las Vegas: We all know that most folks visit Las Vegas to gamble, right? Well, today Las Vegas is one of the most popular golf destinations in the United States.
- Hawaii: Hawaii is all things to all people, golfers included. There are, so I'm told, more amazing golf courses per acre upon these tiny islands than anywhere else on the planet. Golf Courses and Resorts in Hawaii.
Five More of the Best Golf Destinations in the World
It's always a subjective thing when we try to come up with a list like this, and it can never be more than a personal choice. These choices that follow are destinations that I know well and enjoy visiting. No, they are not the grand and glorious famous names in golf, but we're talikg about destinations, not golf courses. I think you'll agree that these are well worth a visit.
- Colorado: While the golfing season is somewhat limited by the climate in Colorado, it's well worth your consideration. High up in the mountains, the ball flies farther, the air is sweeter, and the golf courses are out of this world. Golf Courses and Resorts in Colorado.
- South Carolina: From Hilton Head to Myrtle Beach to Charleston, South Carolina is the golf destination of choice for millions of golfers each year. Hundreds of amazing courses await. Golf Courses and resorts in South Carolina.
- Palm Springs, CA: Palm Springs/Palm Desert: you get two for the price of one, and you get the stunning desert landscape, year-round sunshine, and a hundred incredible golf courses to play.
- Bermuda: Ah... Bermuda, my own personal favorite. Did you know there are more golf courses in Bermuda than fast-food restaurants? And what golf courses they are! Golf Courses and Resorts in Bermuda.
- The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Alabama: You won't find this one on most lists of top golf destinations, which is strange because it's one of the most popular golf destinations in the U.S. Ten amazing golf courses, most of them complete with resort hotel, designed by one of the masters of golf course design. Golf Courses and Resorts on the RTJ Golf Trail.