01 of 07
Top Tourist Destinations in the South
The South is both a geographical location and a way of life. A distinct culture of music, cuisine, and easy-going people define the South, and the region has also been booming in recent years thanks to cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, and Tampa. Some of the best food and live music can be found throughout the region. Learn more about visiting the cities in the South and the towns in between with our guide to the top places to visit in the southern U.S.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
With its reputation for throwing big parties, such as Mardi Gras, New Orleans is one of the most popular destinations in the South. Visitors to New Orleans can get a taste of the Cajun and Creole cultures not found anywhere else in the region, as well as listen to great music at places such as Davenport Lounge. Here are some of the most popular things to do in New Orleans.Continue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
While Florida is known for the Latin flavors in Miami and the theme parks in Orlando, it is most definitely a part of the South—at least, geographically. Between Disney World and some of the best beaches in the world, Florida is definitely a must-see. Read more below to find out what makes the Sunshine State one of the most popular destinations in the U.S.Continue to 4 of 7 below.
04 of 07
Tennessee and Kentucky
From country-western and blues to the rock 'n' roll sounds of Elvis Presley, music comes to mind when thinking of these states in the heart of the South. From a guide to Graceland to how to visit the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to what to do in Nashville and Memphis, the articles below are packed with trip-planning inspiration. We're also including here listings for Louisville, home of the Kentucky Derby, perhaps the most famous and prestigious horse racing event in the world.
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- A Visit to Graceland: The Home of Elvis Presley
- Top 10 Must-See Memphis Attractions
- A Guide to Bars and Clubs on Beale Street in Memphis
- Nashville's Best Cheap and Free Country Music Attractions
- Nashville's Best Historical Homes
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Top 5 Kentucky Derby Festival Events
- Top Louisville Attractions
- Check TripAdvisor for top Nashville, Memphis, and Louisville hotel reviews and deals.
05 of 07
Texas is both southern and part of the Southwest, so it's hard to categorize it. That's probably why, when it comes to tourism, Texas is a "Lone Star"—able to stand on its own with a bevy of attractions, from beaches to big cities. You'll find a buzzing music scene in Austin and some of the best brisket you've ever tasted in Dallas. Click the links below to learn more about what Texas has to offer.
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
- Visiting Texas' Top Six Cities
- Top Places for Family Fun in Texas
- Guide to the City of Austin
- Austin's South by Southwest Festival and Conference
- Must-See Attractions in Downtown Austin
- Guide to the City of Dallas
- Top 15 Houston Attractions
- Top 10 Texas Historical Attractions
- Check TripAdvisor for top Texas hotel reviews and deals
06 of 07
Home to a former Olympic Games, one of the busiest airports in the U.S., and huge companies like Coca-Cola and CNN, Atlanta is an economic beacon in the Deep South. Here you'll find remnants of Antebellum South, monuments to the Civil Rights Movement and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., as well as world-class venues for sports, theater, and music. There’s a lot of rich history in Atlanta and plenty to see.Continue to 7 of 7 below.
07 of 07
The Carolinas, Charleston, and Savannah
Charleston, South Carolina, and Savannah, Georgia, are two of the most genteel cities in the South. Both are steeped in Civil War history. But each also has an artistic side that attracts artists, top chefs, and luxury shopping. Millions of visitors also flock to the coasts of North and South Carolina, where there are a number of fabulous beaches and resorts.
- Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Charleston, South Carolina
- Travel Guide to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
- Myrtle Beach Vacations
- The Outer Banks of North Carolina Driving Tour
- Check TripAdvisor for top Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA hotel reviews and deals