Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products and services; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Mumbai, with real estate prices that are on par with those of New York City, is a notoriously expensive city to stay. This can make finding good, inexpensive accommodations challenging. However, if you look carefully, there are some decent places offering reasonable service for a price that's fairly easy on the wallet.
Trendy Boutique Hotel: Abode Bombay
This gorgeous, chic and somewhat quirky new boutique hotel is a hidden gem with a fantastic Colaba location. It's quickly become the most sought-after place to stay in Mumbai on a budget, which is not surprising as it's outstanding value for money. There are 21 guest rooms. The cheapest ones have a private shower and basin but a shared toilet.
- Features: Spa and wellness center, cafe, library, shop, shared lounge, air conditioning, cable TV, free wireless Internet, travel desk.
- Address: 18 Lansdowne House, M.B. Marg, Behind Regal Cinema, Apollo Bunder, Colaba, Mumbai. Ph: (91) 8080234066. (cell).
Heritage Property: Residency Hotel
This character filled, historic hotel occupies what was once Mumbai's first fire station. The hotel prides itself on its loyal staff and personal service. Its location in the Fort area is away from hectic Colaba but still within walking distance. The renovated rooms are attractively and brightly decorated in traditional style, although some are on the smaller side. For the price, this hotel is real a bargain.
- Features: Air conditioning, 24 hour room service, cable TV, Internet, safes, some rooms with mini fridge, travel services.
- Address: 26, Corner of D.N. Road and Rustom Sidhwa Marg, Fort, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2262-5525.
Elegant and Clean: Ascot Hotel
The Ascot Hotel is another gem, with a fantastic location right near Colaba Causeway but tucked away from the hustle and bustle. The inside of the hotel is contemporary and elegant and the rooms are very clean and beautifully decorated. This attractive hotel provides a wonderful retreat in the heart of Mumbai.
- Features: Air conditioning, 24 hour room service, cable TV, DVD players, wireless Internet, business center, spacious work desks, complementary breakfast and newspaper.
- Address: 38 Garden Road (opposite Cusrow Baug), Colaba, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 6638-5500.
Value for Money: Chateau Windsor Hotel
This hotel is located close to Marine Drive and the ocean. It's got an old, manually operated, cage lift but don't let that put you off staying here. The hotel's newly renovated rooms have been designed to western standards, with imported bedding. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant but guests can cook their own vegetarian meals in its kitchen. There are 50 rooms.
- Features: Roof top terrace, 24 hour room service, tea and coffee, cable TV, wireless Internet, safes, travel services.
- Address: 86 Veer Nariman Road, Churchgate, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2204-4455.
Convenient Business Hotel: Hotel Suba Palace
Perhaps the best thing about this recently renovated hotel is its location, just a couple of minutes walk from the Gateway of India in Colaba. The rooms are smart, modern and clean. Guests' dining requirements are taken care of by the hotel's multi-cuisine restaurant and coffee shop, and excellent restaurants nearby. All in all, it's a refreshing place to stay with friendly and helpful staff. Book well in advance as it's often full with business travelers.
- Features: New furniture, complementary buffet breakfast, air conditioning, 24 hour room service, satellite TV, refrigerator, Internet, safes, conference room.
- Address: Near Gateway of India, Apollo Bunder, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2202-0636.
Rooftop Views: Hotel Godwin
Hotel Godwin is another good choice in Colaba, if you stay in any of the renovated rooms from the fifth floor upwards. The rooms are large and rooms 805 and 806 offer a stunning view of the Gateway of India and Colaba. The hotel has an ambient rooftop area, with restaurant and bar, where you can relax and take in the views. Its location on Garden Road, near the Ascot Hotel, is great too.
- Features: Air conditioning, 24-hour room service, cable TV, free wireless Internet, business center, travel desk.
- Address: Jasmine Building, 41 Garden Road, Colaba, Mumbai. Ph: (91-22) 2287-2050.