The Wharf is a $2 billion mixed-use development on the Washington, D.C. waterfront. The project is one of the region’s largest redevelopment projects transforming the Southwest Waterfront into an urban destination that mixes maritime activity and commerce with culture and housing within easy walking distance to the National Mall. Phase 1 opened in October 2017, Phase 2 will open in mid-2018 and the project is expected to be complete in 2021.
The Wharf site is comprised of 24 acres stretching along one mile of the historic Washington Channel. The new waterfront site includes restaurants, shops, condominiums, hotels, entertainment venues, a park, and an expanded riverfront promenade with public access to the water. The bike and pedestrian-friendly area is expected to become a commercial anchor for the community and a popular attraction for visitors from around the world.
Location and Accessibility
The Wharf is located along the Washington Channel, just south of the National Mall and west of the newly developed Capitol Riverfront. The development area stretches across 24 acres of land and more than 50 acres of water from the Municipal Fish Market to Fort McNair. The waterfront faces East Potomac Park. The closest Metro Stations are Waterfront and L’Enfant Plaza. Accessibility improvements will made to the area with redesigned walkways and transportation options including water taxis and streetcars.
Phase 1 – Opening in 2017
- 648 apartments
- 240 condominiums
- 2 hotels: InterContinental Hotel with 278 guest rooms and Hyatt House with 237 guest rooms
- 435,000 sq. ft. office space
- 200,000 sq. ft. retail/restaurant space
- Anthem, a 140,000 sq ft. music and event venue
- An underground parking facility with 1,600 parking spaces
- 1300 bike parking spaces
- St. Augustine’s Episcopal Church, including 15,500 square feet of space and a 109 unit residential building
- open spaces, including flexible gathering places, a variety of piers, market docks, and landscaped parks
Restaurants (opening in October 2017)
- The Brighton - Pub
- Del Mar - Spanish
- Hanks Oyster Bar - Seafood
- Kirwan's Irish Pub - Irish
- Kith and Kin - Afro-Caribbean
- Requin - Gallic
- Pearl Street Warehouse - American - Music Venue
- Shake Shack - American
- Ben & Jerry's - Ice Cream
- Velo Cafe at District Hardware - Coffee and Casual Fare
Phase 2 - Opening Spring 2018
- 480,000 sq. ft. office space
- 130,000 sq. ft. retail
- 360 apartments
- 124 condos
- marina with 450 slips
- 965 parking spaces
- The Maine Avenue Fish Market, one of the oldest continuously operating fish markets in the country, will continue to operate and will become part of a larger market that will offer a wide range of products.
The Washington Marina and the Gangplank Marina will be expanded with a reopening at a later date and the 7th Street Pier will support a variety of water activities.
Landmarks within Walking Distance
- The Washington Monument
- National Mall
- Arena Stage
- Jefferson Memorial
- Martin Luther King Memorial
- National Gallery of Art
PN Hoffman & Associates, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates, provide design, construction, sales, and marketing services for individual residential and mix-use development projects. The company is committed to serving the neighborhoods of Washington, D.C. and has built over 28 developments in the city since 1993.
Madison Marquette is a Washington, D.C.-based investor, developer, and operator of retail and retail mixed-use real estate throughout the United States. The company specializes in creating unique retail destinations that respond best to consumer preferences.