Brief History of the Resort
In 1971 the Maui Surf Hotel opened in with what is today known as The Westin Maui Resort and Spa's Ocean Tower. The $10 million building was designed by Sam Chang Architect and Associates of Honolulu and was owned by InterIsland Resorts of Honolulu and the Connecticut General Life Insurance Company.
In 1987 the resort was reborn as the Westin Maui following a $165 million redevelopment which included the construction of the 10-story, 209-room Beach Tower as well as the total renovation and refurbishing of the existing 556-room Maui Surf Hotel; new meeting rooms and convention facilities, restaurants, commercial spaces, and a health and fitness spa. In addition a 25,000-sq.-ft. swimming pool featuring a variety of pools in a range of elevations, interconnected with a network of water slides and waterfalls was constructed.
Since 1987 the resort has undergone several extensive refurbishments and today offers 759 completely refurbished guestrooms and suites on 12 oceanfront acres. The average guest room size for the Ocean Tower is approximately 380 square feet. The average guest room size for the Beach Tower is approximately 456 square feet.
Like its sister property, The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, The Westin Maui Resort and Spa has excellent amenities, well-landscaped grounds and top notch restaurants.
One of the best things about The Westin Maui Resort and Spa and something that cannot be understated is its location right on the world famous Ka'anapali Beach with its numerous ocean activities including body boarding, sailing, kayaking, parasailing and whale watching in season.
The Westin Maui Resort and Spa sits right in the middle of the Ka'anapali Beach Resort area which includes five world-class luxury hotels and six condominium and vacation-club resorts.
A paved beach walk connects you from The Westin Maui Resort and Spa to each of the other resorts, many with their own open-air restaurants, top snorkeling spots, such as Black Rock near the Sheraton Maui, and most significantly Whalers Village, located right next door, with over 90 shops, a museum dedicated to whales and whaling history, three fine restaurants and a food court.
One of the highlights of Ka'anapali Beach Resort is its world-class golf offering with 36 holes of golf on the 6700 yard, par 71, Royal Ka'anapali Course and the 6388 yard, par 70, Ka'anapali Kai Course. The golf resort is situated on 1200 acres of land, once the playground of ancient Hawaiian royalty and featuring panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and the West Maui Mountains.
Each of the 731 guest rooms features the Westin signature "Heavenly Bed" and "Heavenly Bath" with a "Heavenly Shower", complete with a curved shower rod for more elbow room.
The bed is the ultimate in comfort, with ten layers of deluxe bedding, and a "Heavenly Crib" is available for Westin Maui's youngest guests. All rooms offer a mini refrigerator, in-room safe, high-speed Internet access, and a private balcony, which allows views of the Pacific Ocean and the islands of Lanai and Molokai, or the golf course and lush West Maui Mountains.
For a truly luxe experience, reserve one of the 29 suites on suites on property, but before you book make sure to check the prices for your stay at The Westin Maui Resort and Spa with TripAdvisor. These suites are individually designed, providing contemporary décor, and ultimate relaxation. The one-bedroom Luxury Suites feature 1,232 square feet of separate dining areas with parlors, wet bars, marble-tiled bathrooms, sunken spa tubs with Jacuzzis and balconies with full ocean views. Executive and Premier suites are both one-bedroom enclaves and include a separate parlor area, marble-tiled bathrooms in each bedroom and balconies with full ocean views.
The Westin Maui Resort and Spa has numerous excellent dining options, for every kind of eater.
Tropica Restaurant and Bar
The Tropica is the resort's beachfront restaurant that serves breakfast daily and dinner Wednesdays to Sundays.
Fresh Island fish, delicious steaks, and contemporary cuisine with island flavors are prepared and served to you in a tropical oceanfront setting, along with waterfalls and flickering tiki torches. The dinner menu showcases local produce harvested from various climate zones, from the mountains to the ocean, as observed in old Hawaii. Selections include Hawaiian Blue Opae featuring pohole fern salad with local chili pepper, Kula Onion Risotto with upcountry Maui goat cheese and Kapalua beets and Maui Cattle NY Strip Loin served with Kula grape tomato and sweet potato hash.
‘OnO Bar and Grill
‘OnO Bar and Grill offers casual all-day dining in a garden courtyard setting. Selections range from island specialties and health-conscious entrees to Keiki favorites. Breakfast includes the popular Island breakfast buffet, and Hawaiian-style 'tapas' themed dinners are served daily. Starwood's kids-eat-free program is applicable.
Colonnade Café is a relaxing, open-air dining place overlooking a lagoon of Koi fish, tropical birds and waterfalls. Starbuck's coffee, continental breakfast as well as light fare is served daily.
This beachfront and poolside venue offers hot dogs, pizza, sandwiches and refreshing Hawaiian shave ice.
Pool Bar/Moonlight Lounge
Located on the Oahu pool deck (adult pool deck), the Pool Bar offers poolside drinks and snacks. When evening falls the pool bar becomes the resort's Moonlight Lounge, the perfect venue to experience one of Maui's spectacular sunsets. Enjoy delicious pupus (appetizers) under the stars as well as an extensive selection of wines, beers and cocktails including the famed Westin Sunset and Tahitian Princess.
The Wailele Polynesian Luau is held twice weekly. This excellent Polynesian revue includes a traditional Hawaiian family style dinner served at the table and exciting dance performances including Maui's only extreme fire knife dance finale.
The Heavenly Spa by Westin™
The Heavenly Spa by Westin™, with massage therapy, facials, and body treatments, is designed to rejuvenate and renew the mind, body and spirit amidst its luxurious oceanfront setting with breathtaking views of famed Ka'anapali Beach.
Within the 15,000 square-foot full-service spa are 16 treatment rooms including two couples massage suites (each with a whirlpool and candlelit ambiance), separate men and women lockers with sauna, steam room and whirlpools; ocean view relaxation lounge where guests are pampered with ginger lavender lemonade and healthy spa cuisine.
The trademark "Westin Workout" is a 24-hour facility with state-of-the-art equipment and tropical views of waterfalls, exotic wildlife, and the ocean as well as an open-air yoga and fitness studio offering classes such as pilates and body toning. There is also a full-service beauty salon with hairstyling, manicures, pedicures, hair-braiding, and make-up; and bridal party preparation.
An outdoor cabana for single or couple massages surrounded by waterfalls and lush gardens completes the extensive offerings of this Westin branded spa.
The Westin Maui Resort and Spa has numerous other guest services, meeting facilities and resort amenities.
- The resort features an 87,000 square foot pool area, including five pools, two water slides, a swim-through grotto tucked behind waterfalls and whirlpools. The resort also offers Ka'anapali Beach's one and only adults pool set amidst lush tropical gardens and overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
- Guests can enjoy personalized beachside service when they rent private beach cabana chairs for two or poolside cabanas within the resort's 87,000 square-foot aquatic playground with five outdoor pools and lush waterfall surroundings. Guests can choose their favorite bites and refreshing cocktails from the beachside menu that will be brought to you as you indulge in a sunny beach day.
- With 45,000-square-feet of indoor and outdoor meeting space, The Westin Maui Resort and Spa offers meeting space with resources for all business needs. All indoor meeting facilities have completed a nearly one million dollar renovation with all new carpeting, wallpaper and paint for a more sophisticated, luxurious look and feel. In addition to the areas below, twelve breakout rooms throughout the hotel offer a variety of meeting space to suit nearly every need.
- The resort offers a full-service business center.
- The resort offers both self-parking as well as valet parking and full bellman services.
- Daily "resort charge" includes: admission to Westin Workout, High Speed Internet service in the guestroom, two bottles of water replenished daily upon consumption, self parking, shuttle service to Kapalua West Maui Airport, upon availability, shuttle service to Lahaina and to the three Starwood properties in Ka'anapali, Westin Maui souvenir bag (available at the concierge desk) and outdoor portrait and free 4"x6" color print from Reflexions Photography.
- A car rental courtesy phone is available in the lobby area.
- A Speedi Shuttle airport transportation desk is located in the lobby area.
- The resort maintains a multilingual resort staff.
- Starwood's "Star Amenities" is an online service offering a variety of amenities that can be delivered to any guest room within the resort.
- The resort has it's own recreation director, a "Director of Fun™", who has lined up a variety of activities including Aloha Bingo. Similar to the traditional bingo, the winner shouts Aloha (instead of Bingo) and wins a prize. Other excitement includes balloon tosses, family smores nights, boogie board relay races, and game shows made popular by television such as Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?
- Interactive Hawaiian arts and crafts demonstrations are offered.
- A surf and standup paddleboarding school is located on the premises.
- The Westin Destination Club that offers a host of family activities for play, fun and together time as well as the Westin Kids Club for Keiki (children), designed especially for children between the ages of 4-12 years. Parents enjoy a night off with Westin Kids Club Evening Camp offering dinner and games for children ages 5-12 years old, from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Wedding services are provided by the only "Director of Romance™" in the state of Hawaii.
- Retail stores & shops within the resort include Nalu Pearl, Martin & MacArthur – Makai, Jams World, Accents and Pineapple Mike.