Beaune is the main town of the Côte d'Or, a major wine-producing region in Burgundy. It's divided into the Côte de Nuits and the Côte de Beaune. It's a favorite region for wine tours and wine walks.
Beaune itself is known for the Hospice de Beaune, once a hospital but now a stunning museum showing medicine through the ages. Models fill the rooms, showing how things have changed over the centuries; for instance, for centuries patients slept sitting up for reasons of space and also because lying down was considered dangerous to health. Beaune itself is a beautiful city and a good centre for exploring Burgundy. It is also the place for one of the greatest wine auctions in the world.
Paris to Beaune by Train
Two stations in Paris serve Beaune.
- TER trains leave from Paris Bercy (48 bis boulevard de Bercy, Paris 12). Trains leave throughout the day and the journey takes from 3 hrs 30 mins.
- TGV trains to Beaune via Dijon leave from Gare de Lyon in Paris (20 boulevard Diderot, Paris 12) all through the day. The TGV train to Dijon takes 1 hr 35 mins. Then change for the TER train to Beaune, taking 18 minutes. Total journey time is 2 hrs 5 mins.
- You can also take the TGV train to Lyon taking 2hrs 3 mins. Check out how to get to Lyon from London, the UK and Paris. Them change for the TER train to Beaune taking 1 hr 40 mins. Total journey time 4 hrs 3 mins.
Beaune station is on Avenue du 08 Septembre, about a 10-minute walk from the center of Beaune, outside the old walls to the east of town.
Other popular connecting destinations with Beaune include Dijon, Chalon-sur-Saone, Nevers, Lyon and Tours.
Booking Train Travel in France
- Booking from the US on Rail Europe
- Booking from the UK on Rail Europe
If you plan to get to Beaune from an international destination, these are the nearest three major international airports:
- Geneva Airport is about 230 kilometers (142 miles) away from Beaune
- Lyon Saint-Expuerly International Airport is about 145 kilometers (90 miles) away from Beaune
- Basel/Mulhouse EuroAirport is about 260 kilometers (160 miles), about 2 hrs 30 mins from Beaune
Paris to Beaune by car
Beaune is conveniently situated at the crossroads of the motorways, the A6, A31 (towards Dijon then Lille or Nancy) and A 38 (towards Besancon and Bale).
From central Paris, Beaune is around 311 kilometers (193 miles) away and the journey takes around 3 hours depending on your speed.
Approximate journey times from other cities:
- From Dijon: 35mins (45kms, 27 miles)
- From Besançon: 1 hr (110km, 68 miles)
- From Lyon: 1hr 40mins (160 km, 99 miles)
- From Geneva: 2hrs 15mins (230 km, 142 miles)
- From Nancy: 2hrs 20mins (260 km, 161 miles)
- From Annecy: 2hrs 30mins (250 km, 155 miles)
- From Strasbourg: 3hrs 15mins (345 km, 214 miles)
- From Marseille: 4hrs 15mins (470 km, 292 miles)
For information on hiring a car under the lease-back scheme which is the most economical way of hiring a car if you’re in France for more than 17 days, try Renault Eurodrive Buy Back Lease.
Getting from London to Paris
- By train (Eurostar)
Eurostar between London, Paris and Lille
- By bus/coach Eurolines offers a cheap service from London, Gillingham, Canterbury, Folkestone and Dover to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris Gallieni. Six coaches a day; 2 overnight; journey time is 7 hours. The Eurolines stop is at the Paris Gallieni Coach Station, 28 ave du General de Gaulle, just by the Gallieni metro station near the Porte de Bagnolet (Metro line 3, final stop).
IDBus also operates between London and Lille and London and Paris. IDBus also goes from Lille to Amsterdam and Brussels.
Where to Stay in Beaune
Beaune has a good range of hotels, from top end to budget.
If you need help deciding where to stay, check out the top hotels in Burgundy.