01 of 06
The Sagamore: An American Tradition to Pass Along to Your Kids
What & Where is The Sagamore?
The Sagamore is an American classic: a gracious, historic resort in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York.
This year-round property was built in 1883 on a 70-acre private island on picturesque Lake George. The hotel has been expanded and modernized, yet retains its vintage style and charm. It was most recently renovated in 2013.
Accommodations are mainly rooms in the elegant original building and spacious suites with fireplaces and terraces in woodsy Adirondacks lodges.
Who Goes to The Sagamore?
• Most guests drive to The Sagamore from the Northeastern U.S. or from Quebec and Ontario|
• The resort is a family favorite. Many guests grew up coming to The Sagamore with their parents, and now vacation here with their own kids
• The resort offers extensive facilities and programs for young guests including kids' menus and The Rec, a loaded activity center
• The Sagamore invites guests to enjoy nature, Adirondacks-style: boating, fishing, kayaking, hiking
• Athletes come to The Sagamore for its tennis courts and its par 70, 18-hole golf course designed in 1928 by Donald Ross
Sound good? Take the quiz to see how much you'll like The Sagamore >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Will You Like The Sagamore?
Will The Sagamore Be Your Style? Take the Quiz!
The Sagamore will probably be the right getaway for you if:
• You live within driving distance of the Adirondacks (as in NYC, NJ, Philly, Boston, Montreal)
• You like classic resorts with elegant vintage style and a historic pedigree
• You love forests, lakes, and the outdoor life
• And boating, one of the joys of famed Lake George
• You think you'd like poking around Lake George's artsy villages
• You're either visiting as a family or won't mind being around kids
• And if you're going as a family, you and your kids will love the property's new recreation center, with mini golf, an indoor rock-climbing wall, and more
• You like a resort with a refined spa
•You're a golfer who could get into a beautiful course designed in 1928 by Donald Ross
The Sagamore may not be your dream vacation if:
• You're not really intrigued by lake resorts, and would rather be at the beach
• You prefer crisp, modern hotel decor to a traditional or rustic look
• You're traveling with your pet (The Sagamore lacks a pet-friendly hotel policy)
• You have a serene romantic getaway for two in mind, and really don't want to be near kids
• You like treating yourself to a hotel club-floor upgrade and hanging in the club lounge (there's no club level here)
• You like a hotel with more nightlife than a bar or two will provide
See what the hotel rooms at like at The Sagamore >>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Hotel Rooms & Suites at The Sagamore
Guest Accommodations at The Sagamore
One definite draw of The Sagamore is its variety of accommodations. One of its 387 rooms and suites will be the one that you and your family will love.
• See them all on the resort's rooms page
Rooms in The Historic Hotel Section of The Sagamore
The main building, built in 1883 and recently lovingly restored, has strong historic flavor.
• It's near The Sagamore's restaurants, pool, and waterfront
• The main building houses 137 rooms and suites
• They are elegantly Victorian, with big windows and pillowy couches and chairs
• Bathrooms are lavished with marble and vintage-style pedestal sinks
• Governor's Rooms face Lake George; "garden view" rooms do not overlook the lake
• Many suites have private balconies
The Lodges at The Sagamore
With 222 rooms and suites set apart from the main building, The Lodges seem to blend into the tall trees.
• Half of The Lodge's accommodations (111) are suites, with fireplaces, terraces, big bathrooms, and beautiful ensuite kitchens
• Lower-level Lodge rooms are The Sagamore's budget accommodations
• The Lodge is decorated in contemporary Adirondack style, with a modern, woodsy feeling
More Guest Digs at The Sagamore
• The Hermitage, a frequent choice of families, features 10 duplex suites with kitchens
• Condominium accommodations, with full kitchens and washer-dryers, are ideal for extended stays
• The Castle, a historic mansion that really does resemble an English Tudor castle, has six bedrooms, four bathrooms, and five fireplaces
What's Included at The Sagamore
The resort charges a modest resort fee that covers various perks and extras. These include:
• High-speed wifi in rooms and throughout resort
• TVs offering movies and games
• In-room safes
• In-room coffeemakers
• Bottled water
• Business center
• Valet service
• Resort shuttle services
• Rides on Lake George in the resort's vintage boat, The Morgan
• Use of The Rec activity center, tennis courts, pools, gym, fishing dock, and more
What's not included:
• Room minibar
• Room service and restaurant dining
Bring the Kids, but Not the Dog
Apologies to your furry family members, but The Sagamore does not observe a pet-friendly resort policy.
Be hungry for The Sagamore's Adirondacks dining >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Dining at The Sagamore
Dining at The Sagamore
The resort does not offer all-inclusive pricing; everything is a la carte. However, The Sagamore offers getaway packages that include breakfast and dinner.
• See the hotel's offers page
• Find out more about all-inclusive hotels and plans
Restaurants & Bars at The Sagamore
The Sagamore offers guests eight dining venues.
• For more info on the restaurants and to look at their menus: The Sagamore's dining page
La Bella Vita serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It high-end, authentically Italian, and (I can vouch) very good.
• Its gracious dining room combines the classic American panorama of Lake George with the sunny, woodsy feeling of Tuscany
• You'll find all your favorite dishes from The Boot: brick-oven pizza, wild mushroom risotto, shrimp or Maine Lobster scampi, seafood stew, veal and chicken parmigiana, pappardelle ragu, lemon-ricotta cheesecake
Club Grill is a classic New York steakhouse.
• It is set in a magnificent timbered-ceiling clubhouse overlooking The Sagamore Golf Course (see pic above)
• It serves prime steaks and chops, expertly grilled seafood, handcrafted cocktails and a robust wine list
• Shuttle service from and back to the resort is complimentary
The Pavilion is stunningly set right on the famous Lake George shore.
•It is open-air to and in operation only during the summer, for lunch, dinner, and bar hours
• Chow ranges from a raw bar to burgers to full entrees like New York strip steak and the "Jumbo Maine Lobster Experience"
The LakeHouse, also an open-air, waterfront spot, is open for lunch, dinner, and bar hours during the summer.
• The casual menu covers pizza, salads, sandwiches, and craft cocktails (including a range of mojitos)
• The LakeHouse is a favorite of very young Sagamore guests, who order from the Little Sailors menu
Mr. Brown's Pub is a cozy, convivial indoor tavern serving lunch, dinner, and late-night vittles.
• A wide pub grub menu ranges from bar bites like crab cakes and nachos to entrees like lobster Cobb salad, steak frites, and fish and chips
• There's live entertainment by talented locals
More Dining Options at The Sagamore
• The Veranda Terraces, overlooking the lake, serves light fare from late spring through early fall
• Caldwell's Lobby Bar has a porch overlooking Lake George, a fireplace-warmed lounge, an ample menu, and wine and craft beer (including some Adirondacks brews)
• Caldwell's Espresso Bar is the A.M. version, with a full coffee menu and house-made pastries
• Splash Pool Bar, open from lunch till 5p.m., brings snacks, lunch entrees, and kids' faves right to your pool chaise
• Room service, provided by Caldwell's
Come ready to roll! The Sagamore's recreation rocks >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Recreation at The Sagamore
Tons to Do at The Sagamore
The Sagamore stands out for its year-round recreation. Active guests are happy here.
• Outdoor recreation includes boating, fishing, kayaking, hiking, biking, golf, tennis, more
• In winter: ice skating on Lake George, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing; an indoor pool
The Rec, Activity Center at The Sagamore
Indoor sports are housed in The Rec, a favorite of families.
• The Rec's Sport Court features a rock-climbing wall, miniature golf course, Wiffleball field, half-court basketball, volleyball, and more
• The Sagamore tempts tennis players with five outdoor courts and individual and group lessons
• Indoor activities for kids include Wii, table games like Foosball, computer stations, arts and crafts, and more
• The Kids' Club organizes your youngsters' schedules for you
Pools at The Sagamore
The Sagamore's outdoor pool was recently included in cnn.com's Top 10 American Resort Pools.
• It's massive: 100 feet long
• And it has an infinity edge that seems to blend into Lake George
•And never a lack of chaise loungers, with bar and snack service from The Pool Lounge
• And, naturally, a hot tub
The 40-foot pool is reserved for adults.
• This pool is year-round, with a retractable, airtight roof
• It's marked with lap lanes
• More about The Sagamore's pools
Great Golf at The Sagamore
Donald Ross designed the par 70, 18-hole championship course in 1928.
• It's a big course of 188 acres
• Shuttles are complimentary
• See the resort's Opal Golf Package
•About's Golf Travel Expert's story on The Sagamore Golf Course
Fun on & in Lake George
Life at The Sagamore revolves around scenic, four-season, freshwater Lake George.
• You can swim, water-ski, kayak, Stand-up PPaddleboard and more
• Guests can borrow fishing rods for dockside angling for sunfish,, bass; fishing expeditions by boat are available
• The Sagamore has a private lake beach
• The resort's vintage-look, 72-foot cruiser, The Morgan, takes guests on tours of Lake George
• More on The Sagamore's lakefront activities
The Sagamore Spa & Salon
This full-body oasis tempts with a comprehensive spa menu plus full salon services.|
• Signature Treatments include the rejuvenating Collagen Facial Treatment and the skin-plumping Botinol Clinical Treatment
• The Spa's hydrotherapy circuit, open to guests with or without spa appointments, offers steam rooms, hot tubs, and saunas
Fitness at The Sagamore
• The spacious Fitness Center offers cutting-edge exercise equipment and complimentary classes
• The resort is ringed by trails for jogging, bike-riding, walking
• Hikers can tackle more challenging Adirondacks trails
How to connect with The Sagamore >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Get in Touch with & Follow The Sagamore
Connect with The Sagamore
• The Sagamore's website
As is common in the travel industry, the Luxury Travel Expert was provided with a complimentary visit in order to describe the resort. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.